Q40/Q60 Roms

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Q40/Q60 Roms

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
I am finishing my process of updating my Q40 / Q60, I have installed a new case, a new modular Atx power supply, replaced classics HD with CF/SD readers, eliminated floppy and lastly I would like to update the ROM with the latest version of smsqe.

I have already created, using the compressed version of SMSQE by Wolfgang the LO and HI parts ready to be burned in the 2 eprom.

Now I need your help in find out the exact model of the eprom to use: M27C1024-xxx but what model/brand ? and where to find them (eBay) ? UV or OTP?
Can you suggest me which model of eprom programmer to buy and which model of UV lamp to cancel the eprom?
Can I reuse the existing Roms erasing and reprogramming them ?

Many thanks

Fabrizio

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q40/Q60 Roms

Post by Chr$ »

bixio60 wrote:Hi,
Now I need your help in find out the exact model of the eprom to use: M27C1024-xxx but what model/brand ? and where to find them (eBay) ? UV or OTP?
Can you suggest me which model of eprom programmer to buy and which model of UV lamp to cancel the eprom?
1. I don't think the xxx (access speed) will make much of a difference, nor should the maker. UV erasable are probably more convenient.
2. Get one of the Chinese TL866 range programmers. They are pretty good and not that expensive. In fact, I might have one to sell you! Chinese small scale UV erasers are also pretty cheap.
3. Yes, if the existing ones have the little window you can erase and re-use them (probably an idea to save the data on them first).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Chr$ wrote:
bixio60 wrote:Hi,
1. I don't think the xxx (access speed) will make much of a difference, nor should the maker. UV erasable are probably more convenient.
2. Get one of the Chinese TL866 range programmers. They are pretty good and not that expensive. In fact, I might have one to sell you! Chinese small scale UV erasers are also pretty cheap.
3. Yes, if the existing ones have the little window you can erase and re-use them (probably an idea to save the data on them first).
Thanks for the Help !

I will send a private message for the Eprom programmers to reach an agreement.

Fabrizio

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote:I am finishing my process of updating my Q40 / Q60, I have installed a new case, a new modular Atx power supply, replaced classics HD with CF/SD readers, eliminated floppy and lastly I would like to update the ROM with the latest version of smsqe.
Sounds very nice! I also wanted to rebuild my Q60 in a smaller case, but had too many ideas and in the end completed none of them.
bixio60 wrote:Now I need your help in find out the exact model of the eprom to use: M27C1024-xxx but what model/brand ? and where to find them (eBay) ? UV or OTP?
It does not matter which 27C1024, as long as they have 120ns or less access time.
You could also use the one you already have.
bixio60 wrote:Can you suggest me which model of eprom programmer to buy and which model of UV lamp to cancel the eprom?
Not really, I have a very old model. But normally, all programmers which have a >= 40 pin (!) socket should work.
bixio60 wrote:Can I reuse the existing Roms erasing and reprogramming them ?
Yes, but you need UV light to erase. If you do it seldom, even sunlight might be an option. Do blank check before trying to program.

Peter

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Chr$ wrote:1. I don't think the xxx (access speed) will make much of a difference
I would be careful here. This is a 68060 of up to 80 MHz running directly from ROM, and I designed the bus timings for <= 120 ns.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Peter wrote:
Chr$ wrote:1. I don't think the xxx (access speed) will make much of a difference
I would be careful here. This is a 68060 of up to 80 MHz running directly from ROM, and I designed the bus timings for <= 120 ns.
Thanks Peter, I was hoping someone with more knowhow would confirm or deny that statement before the OP actually bought/did anything!

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I used to use a HiLo Systems ALL03A EPROM Programmer connected to a MSDOS 486 PC, to programme ST MC27C1024 120ns EPROMS, for the Q40, Q60.

The eproms require to be erased with a UV eraser.

I also have a Minipro TL866CS, which also can programme the MC27C1024/27C4096

I used to deliver a Q60 with SMSQ/E v3.10, as the binary got too big for the 1024 eproms.

Only now with compressed ROM images can we have up to date SMSQ/E operating systems that are not soft loaded.

This makes the Q60 boot up to SBASIC in seconds. Which sometimes was too fast for slow hard drives.

I have been building Q60 and Q40 into black Shuttle PC ITX cases, without the ridiculess PC Colling system. The Q60 runs cool enough with a standard CPU heat sink.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Chr$ wrote: Thanks Peter, I was hoping someone with more knowhow would confirm or deny that statement before the OP actually bought/did anything!
Have you got a Q60?

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

No, afraid not. (just a QXLII and Q68).

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Are W274096-12 an option for the Q60? I personally prefer EEPROMs, just so much more convenient.