Q68 Crashes

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 Crashes

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Coild you try another edtor to see if it is QD ar fault.

Also maybe try the same same setup on a different computer with the same SMSQ/E configuration, this would check if the Q68 or SMSQ/E is causing the problem.

idententally, I use Sernet 2.22, maybe try looking at that, as there maybe a device driver problem.

Regards,

Derek
Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

pjw wrote
Since I reverted to QD V B.01 I havent had any problems (other than the "creeping last line" problem, which never seems to go away).
I am using QD B.05. Need to see If I have B.01 somewhere.
derek_Stewart wrote
maybe try the same same setup on a different computer with the same SMSQ/E configuration,
I can certainly try this.

I did try QMON this afternoon. I got the same crash - memory corruption towards the end of the afternoon but QMON did not warn of it.

Cheers

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Also maybe try the same same setup on a different computer with the same SMSQ/E configuration, this would check if the Q68 or SMSQ/E is causing the problem
Even if it appears to work elsewhere, that does not necessarily mean the Q68 is at fault. Different machines have different memory layouts and initialization patterns.
It has happened before that the same software appeared okay on QPC, but not on Q68. In the end it was a software bug that could be fixed.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I was only trying to narrow down the source of system crash.

I have no doubt that Q68!hardware is perfect. More than likely it is the operating system or QD that is at fault.

I would try to use a different editor, but there is no documented way to access the QD/SBAS Thing from something like Microemacs or QED.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

I often use 10-20 QD vB.05 in parallel, not a single crash. I don't usually use the SBAS thing, so it might be related to that.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Yeah sorry, Marcel. I gave up on B.05 a long time ago in QPC2, as it kept crashing. I did some systematic testing when B05 came out, but didnt find an answer. Working my way down I ended up with B.01, which has been rock stable. Recently I reinstated B.05 again for some reason, but when I tested it with Q68 it crashed the system quite quickly. I use SBAS/QD, but I also have lots of other weird stuff on my machine, so dont know exactly where the problem could be.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

pjw wrote:....other than the "creeping last line" problem, which never seems to go away
The last line always seems to be a common problem. ED has that for years, even I had this with my editor in the early versions. ;) .

4E75 7000
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Is there any indication that the crash occurs without using QD?

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

I have been running QD B.01 since this morning while working on the same SBasic program with the SBAS/QD thing in play and there has not been any crashing or other untoward events. So I am now hopeful that Per is correct and that QD B.05 and the SBAS thing and the Q68 version of smsq/e was the problem. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Artificer wrote:I have been running QD B.01 since this morning while working on the same SBasic program with the SBAS/QD thing in play and there has not been any crashing or other untoward events. So I am now hopeful that Per is correct and that QD B.05 and the SBAS thing and the Q68 version of smsq/e was the problem. Fingers crossed.
Wierd.
I used QD B.01 and SBAS/QD a lot in QPC2, many QD's open at the same time, seldom any crashes.
There were occasions where QD would no longer respond to the CTRL commands so I had to save my work and restart QPC2.
One indication for trouble was in the Search menu. If the Replace window showed strange characters it was time for a reset.
It has not been a problem with B.05 so far. Never seen the "last line" problem either.
I guess it's some Boot extension causing a conflict, as each of our Boot files is probably unique.

BSJR