Q68 Serial devices

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 Serial devices

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have sent you a private message asking you to order 2 adapters.

Regards,

Derek
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

bixio60 wrote:Q60: I will do as soon as it will arrive....it is taking age, update later.

Fabrizio
Peter wrote:My suspicion would be that the converter might have no buffer.

At the moment, the Q68 fetches keycodes with a rate of up to 50 per second. The Q68 hardware the tells the keyboard not to send more, until a recent keycode was processed. In that case, the internal buffer of the keyboard holds the code until it is allowed to send again.

It would be interesting to test the converter with a Q40 or Q60, because they have a dedicated keyboard interrupt, allowing for more than 50 keycodes per second. If it works there, we'd know what the cause is.
It is arrived.... for Q68 I can confirm what it was said before: mouse always working, keyboard not. The keyboard after few second start repeating the last character inserted. Should not be a buffer error, at least this is my feeling but more a problem of signal level quality. The best results I got was with the Keyboard/mouse set from last Raspberry 4 package: usable even if sometime the keyboard start repeating last character until I press space, not very logic I know.

Q60: the keyboard simply works well with all different type of keyboard. :D Cannot say anything for the mouse, the cables of the kit are too short to cover the distance between keyb socket and ser1 (mouse) on the Q60 tower case. But, at least the keyboard is rock solid

Peter, any guess why Q60 yes and Q68 not?

Fabrizio

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Thank you Fabrizio. I will be trying it tomorrow on my school systems and this shows that likely the device will work properly on other PS2 devices. I will scour a few more places for other keyboards. I do have one of those wireless handheld remote/keyboard thingies that comes with a dongle (the keybaord is the size of a big remote but has a full keyboard and a track pad). Would love to be able to use that on the Q68 because then I can lay on bed and use it (best way to use a computer :-/)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Belkin PS/2 Splitter supplied with the Q68 had have the Mouse and Keyboard connections swopped over before the keyboard and mouse would work on the Q68.

Can you try swopping the connections of the PS/2 Splitter.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

My splitter works properly (i.e. mouse to mouse and keyboard to keyboard). When I tested the USB-to-PS2 gadget I also at one time flipped the device connections and the keyboard would not work...in fact the Q68 wouldn't boot in one scenario (don't know if it was keyboard to mouse or vice versa).

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote:It is arrived.... for Q68 I can confirm what it was said before: mouse always working, keyboard not. The keyboard after few second start repeating the last character inserted.
It seems that Fabrizios keyboard again behaves different to the ones tested before, very unclear picture.
A precise description would be better. Was the problem time-related or keypress-related?
bixio60 wrote:Q60: the keyboard simply works well with all different type of keyboard. :D
Thanks for this info.
bixio60 wrote:Cannot say anything for the mouse, the cables of the kit are too short to cover the distance between keyb socket and ser1 (mouse) on the Q60 tower case.
How did you get the idea that a PS/2 mouse might somehow work on a Q60 ???
bixio60 wrote:Peter, any guess why Q60 yes and Q68 not?
I wrote my guesses already.

But I can not give a substanciated answer from the varying and vague error descriptions gathered by now. The only way seems getting an adaptor myself and actually measure.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Peter wrote......How did you get the idea that a PS/2 mouse might somehow work on a Q60 ???

Not sure I understand what you mean. Should not work ? It is a Logitech PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Set Wireless, Keyb and Mouse are wireless, the Logitech receiver has two PS/2 cables that end-up one in the Q60 socket for keyboard and one with the "mouse Ps/2" (green one) end up with an adapter in the ser2 of the Q60. It works since 20 year and I pray that both Q60 and the Logitech set will not stop :D

Long live Q60 ;)

fabrizio

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Logitech for some time offered ps/2 / serial combo wireless mouse and keyboard sets with dual personality - That mouse is actually a serial mouse.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi fabrizio,

The Q60 only has serial ports for connection of a mouse, so you must use a Serial to PS/2 Converter.

I have never using PS/2 mouse on a Q60, I did replace the AT kayboard to connector to PS/2, so I guess the serial port just needs a rewire to suit the PS/2 connection:
Wikipedia wrote: The PS/2 port is a 6-pin mini-DIN connector used for connecting keyboards and mice to a PC compatible computer system. Its name comes from the IBM Personal System/2 series of personal computers, with which it was introduced in 1987. The PS/2 mouse connector generally replaced the older DE-9 RS-232 "serial ...
Pin 1‎: ‎+DATA Pin 4‎: ‎Vcc
Pin 5‎: ‎+CLK Pin 3‎: ‎GND
How do you convert the PS/2 to serial, using an appropriate converter?

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote:It is a Logitech PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Set Wireless, Keyb and Mouse are wireless, the Logitech receiver has two PS/2 cables that end-up one in the Q60 socket for keyboard and one with the "mouse Ps/2" (green one) end up with an adapter in the ser2 of the Q60.
Hopefully you were not talking about that old wireless set (which actually provides a serial mouse) but the USB-PS/2 converter we were discussing!
bixio60 wrote:It works since 20 year and I pray that both Q60 and the Logitech set will not stop :D
I hope that, too.

But this discussion was about the recently found USB-PS/2 converter! Did you try that at all with the Q60?