Q68 Serial devices

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q68 Serial devices

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:How do you convert the PS/2 to serial, using an appropriate converter?
No conversion, just a passive adaptor. He seems to use a PS/2 & serial combo device.

The Q60 never had PS/2 mouse support, so it can not work with a USB-PS/2 converter mouse-wise. Only keyboard. But I'm not sure Fabrizio actually tested that.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Peter wrote:
bixio60 wrote:It is a Logitech PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Set Wireless, Keyb and Mouse are wireless, the Logitech receiver has two PS/2 cables that end-up one in the Q60 socket for keyboard and one with the "mouse Ps/2" (green one) end up with an adapter in the ser2 of the Q60.
Hopefully you were not talking about that old wireless set (which actually provides a serial mouse) but the USB-PS/2 converter we were discussing!
bixio60 wrote:It works since 20 year and I pray that both Q60 and the Logitech set will not stop :D
I hope that, too.

But this discussion was about the recently found USB-PS/2 converter! Did you try that at all with the Q60?
I mess up the discussion, i know :D

Then, for the new Kit USB-PS/2 converter:
- Q60: all keyboards tried works perfectly
- Q68: mouse work always, keyboard not

For the Q60 I am using a Logitech Cordless Desktop Wireless that is named DUAL (i just checked) so then I suspect it can support for the mouse 2 protocol: PS/2 and serial. In fact this Logitech keyboard set works also with Q68 that use only PS/2 protocol.

Fabrizio

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Finally got to use the USB-to-PS/2 converter with a Dell USB keyboard on a PC with PS/2 and it worked without problem. Had it also on a KVM switch (what it is for) and also no problem. The three lights on the keyboard go on and off with proper key presses. One funny thing is that both of the converters I have are the same model but one lacks a hole on the side where the green LED shines through (the LED's are tiny). So no direct usage light on one. Not sure if they left the LED's off since they are as tiny as surface mount resistors. Will try this second on on the Q68 and also have wireless keyboard that I see if it works.

P.S. I tried the little wireless keyboard on the PC through the converter and got nothing. It don't think it requires a driver since I plugged it into my MacBook and it worked immediately. Will try it with a powered USB hub tomorrow.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote:- Q68: mouse work always, keyboard not
From what was said earlier, it was not like it just does "not work".
There was some effect on keypresses, even a number of characters working correctly before strange effects started.

Could you please describe the behaviour, instead of just saying it does "not work"?
Was the problem time-related or keypress-related?

What happens, for example, if you wait >10 seconds after boot, and then only press one normal letter key briefly?

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Final test using this wireless mini-keyboard:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/IPazzPo ... 77773.html

It worked but exhibited the same issues. I was surprised by this because I expected it to just not work thinking the dongle would want a normal USB port. The fact that it behaved the same was weird. The keys would again repeat at one point...somehow something gets confused on the Q68 side and it just start repeating the final character typed. Then after a while the whole thing breaks down and nothing works.

One issue that is independent of the Q68 is that the trackpad only works horizontally but not vertically. That was true also when I used it on an older desktop running Windows 7.

In any case, that was my last test. I tried both of them and both did the same thing. I will send both to Derek tomorrow. Hopefully when Peter gets one he can figure out if there is a work-around. Would love to be able to use the wireless mini-keyboard.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

With regard to the USB-to-PS2 converter, there are 10 left from the US eBayer. I sent two to Derek for him and Peter to play with -- not free, they are reimbursing me but it wasn't too bad as the total, which included double shipping (i.e. eBayer to me and me to Derek), was under $40 (about £30) for two. We do know it works fine with Q40/60 and Derek/Peter will be testing it on the Q68 to see if there is a workaround. Also not clear how it works on the Spectrum Next but perhaps it works on that as well.

So question, I can purchase a bunch more to have so when people decide they wan tone I can send to people at cost (like I did with Derek). I don't want to hoard unless we think there are 10 QL'ers that will want to eventually use it (I mean, it likely won't be a huge investment if I get the rest). I can probably get them at either $6 or even $5 a piece and shipping may end up being $20 to $30'ish so say for all ten the individual price could end up being $8 plus shipping overseas (it was about $15 to UK).

Feedback on what to do and I don't mind getting 'em even if I end up with extras because I can always sell 'em back on eBay.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Today I received a USB-PS/2 converter, thanks bwinkel67 and Derek!
I can confirm the Q68 keyboard behaviour bwinkel67 described. I'm working on a solution.

What I can not confirm is that mouse works fully allright with Q68. While it appears to work after a PE program was started, the mouse pointer does not appear if the mouse is moved on a pure startup screen, as it does without the converter. Can someone else test this please?

I can also not confirm it works as well as a directly connected keyboard on Q60. For example, scrolling up/down in ED with autorepeated cursor key is slower and not as steady-going (I used the same keyboard, it is PS/2+USB combi.) But at least no character loss or strange repeats.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

When I'm back home tonight I will give it a go. Note that I am practicing social distancing I'm just between my place and my fiance's place (about 3 miles from each other) during this time as we both have cats and haven't combined households (this summer). So my original QL is at my place and the Q68 is at hers.

Once you get it to work (keeping fingers crossed), there are still 10 available and I will gobble them up (hopefully for a bid of something like $4/per plus shipping) and then distribute them to anyone that wants them (at cost incl shipping) and/or send a lot to Derek if he wants to add them as an option for the Q68. Just let me know. I think $50-$60 investment on my part isn't going to kill me if I can grab them for future QL'ers. I can always resell 'em cheap on eBay if they take up too much space in the future.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

I already have keyboard work much better by FPGA changes. With some likelihood, the rest also requires an SMSQ/E change.
Not sure we should wait until the fixes are complete before securing a batch of these converters. If you like, please go ahead. I'm willing to help financially in case you make a loss.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

bwinkel67 wrote:Once you get it to work (keeping fingers crossed), there are still 10 available and I will gobble them up (hopefully for a bid of something like $4/per plus shipping) and then distribute them to anyone that wants them (at cost incl shipping) and/or send a lot to Derek if he wants to add them as an option for the Q68. Just let me know. I think $50-$60 investment on my part isn't going to kill me if I can grab them for future QL'ers. I can always resell 'em cheap on eBay if they take up too much space in the future.
Send them to me in a single package which save on shipping from the USA.

I am waiting on some more Q68 PCBs, so will have wait to try the converter out.

I have a Q60 that I have built into a Shuttle case, which I will try the converter on the Q60 keyboard connection.

Regards,

Derek