Q68 Serial devices

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q68 Serial devices

Post by bwinkel67 »

I'll see if I can find another 5 volt power supply at 1 amp. I will also dig out one of my powered USB Hubs and give it a go. I'll post later tonight (it's mid day here now).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Does the USB mouse get recognised by the Q68 on the power screen.

It should say Extended PS2. Mouse found.

I doubt the problem lies with the power supply, it may be worth examine the USB to PS/2 adapter.

Can the case be opened for a picture?

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

The USB mouse works without problem though it seems a bit fast in Black Phoenix. Can you adjust its speed?

I can see if I can open it up. It's made of metal with four phililps screws on the side. First I will try a powered hub.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The mouse speed is controlled either by the SMSQ/E MOUSE_SPEED command or in the QPAC2 SYSDEF Thing or menu.

I will look at how Black Phoenix controls the mouse speed, as it is an over complicated setup.

With regards to the the USB adapter, the vendor did not reply to me, even though I have a valid UPS account for International shpping.

Maybe you sell me an adapter, I will pay the shipping costs.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Maybe you sell me an adapter, I will pay the shipping costs.
Hi Derek,

I can certainly order one (or more for you) and send it to you at cost. Let me know and I'll put in the order.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

So I tried a powered USB hub and the keyboard acted like it was hooked without a hub. So better than an unpowered hub but not any better overall. Here is the one I used in case it matters.
PoweredUSB.jpg
Taking the USB-to-PS2 apart here is a picture:
USB2PS2.jpg

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Cypress SL81HST: USB 1.1 Host/Slave controller with microprocessor bus interface
Texas Instruments TUSB2046: 4-port USB 2.0 12-Mbps USB hub
The third IC must be a microcontroller, connected to the SL81HST.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

The mouse speed is controlled either by the SMSQ/E MOUSE_SPEED command or in the QPAC2 SYSDEF Thing or menu.

I will look at how Black Phoenix controls the mouse speed, as it is an over complicated setup.

With regards to the the USB adapter, the vendor did not reply to me, even though I have a valid UPS account for International shpping.

Maybe you sell me an adapter, I will pay the shipping costs.
Hi,

With regards to the speed of the mouse, this can be be controlled by using the SMSQ/E command MOUSE_SPEED speed. Where speed is a integer from 1-9 controlling the acceleration of the mouse pointer.

However, if QPAC2 is loaded, which in the case of Black Phoenix is loaded. The Mouse acceleration can be be controlled from a Thing called SYSDEF. To access the Thing, type: EXEP SYSDEF and the mouse settings are located there.

Note:

A Thing is a memory resident programme, that the software writers did not know what to call them. Please read the QPAC2 documentation for more information.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

bwinkel67 wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote: Maybe you sell me an adapter, I will pay the shipping costs.
Hi Derek,

I can certainly order one (or more for you) and send it to you at cost. Let me know and I'll put in the order.
Hi,

OK, order me one adapter and send it by surface mail and send me a PM with the costs.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Peter/Derek,

Last time I got two for $23 vs one for $19 so the second cost only $4 extra. Peter, would you like me to grab a second one and the two of you can split the cost. I'll still send it all to Derek but I assume he has a way to get you this (I think you live across the channel somewhere but not sure how cheap royal mail is to Europe). I know someone is lending you one but I'm not sure if you want one just for tinkering. I hate to order one and miss out on the huge discount for two.

Let me know, otherwise I will order one and send it to Derek. Also note that if I'm done tinkering with it on my end I will drop them into the mail now so you can get them sooner and just re-wait for the one (or two) new ones to arrive since I think I've done enough with it so far (unfortunately I'm more software than hardware but really want to learn more about micro controllers, etc and what I will spend part of my summer tinkering with). I do want to own one and I do need another one eventually for our old research servers at school but can wait another few weeks for that whereas if I wait to receive them and then you wait to get them it'll take twice as long.

So depending on how many you want lets make sure I've done all I can on my end (i.e. anything else I should try?) Obviously if you guys only want one then that's not an issue since I have the second one to continue with and can send the other right away and just wait for the new one to come in.