ICL OPD

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

ICL OPD

Post by Pr0f »

Not sure if this is considered a compatible, but it does share some common hardware components.

Acquired a motherboard and processor board for this recently - does anyone have a service manual or circuit diagrams for this beasty?

Or perhaps have any details for the pin outs for the ROM card at the backup - is it even remotely similar to the QL 64 way connector pin outs ?

If not, I guess I've got some nice long hours of multimeter ping testing to find out what's connected where...

Seems to be a good few '138 decoders on board for a machine that's laden with ROM chips :-)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: ICL OPD

Post by Pr0f »

Pr0f wrote:Not sure if this is considered a compatible, but it does share some common hardware components.

Acquired a motherboard and processor board for this recently - does anyone have a service manual or circuit diagrams for this beasty?

Or perhaps have any details for the pin outs for the ROM card at the back - is it even remotely similar to the QL 64 way connector pin outs ?

If not, I guess I've got some nice long hours of multimeter ping testing to find out what's connected where...

Seems to be a good few '138 decoders on board for a machine that's laden with ROM chips :-)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I think the OPD is part of the QL family :)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

It certainly has some QL pedigree - featuring both the ULA's from the QL :-) Also 2 microdrives.

It's a different OS though, and had it's own bespoke monitor which also powered the board.

I am wondering how much work would be involved in making the board work like a QL, but in any case it would be a good platform for testing out a potential ZX8301 replacement.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Pr0f wrote:Not sure if this is considered a compatible, but it does share some common hardware components.

Or perhaps have any details for the pin outs for the ROM card at the backup - is it even remotely similar to the QL 64 way connector pin outs ?

Some info here: https://rwapsoftware.co.uk/oneperdesk/t ... _info.html

I looked into the situation with OPD manuals some time ago at the request of someone else and found that scarcity of documentation is at least partly down to the fact that copyright clearance seems not to have been given for the OPD manuals. Certainly a quick googling for OPD manuals or PDFs seems to turn up nothing that is free.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I know - it's a bit of a lost cause.

I know it was marketed as a Merlin Tonto M1800 - and I came across this little gem:

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum ... riteup.php

and there is a link to this manual:

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/p ... _tonto.pdf

which gives a bit more, but struggling to find a document with hardware addresses or memory map which would be a start...

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

dilwyn wrote:

Some info here: https://rwapsoftware.co.uk/oneperdesk/t ... _info.html

I looked into the situation with OPD manuals some time ago at the request of someone else and found that scarcity of documentation is at least partly down to the fact that copyright clearance seems not to have been given for the OPD manuals. Certainly a quick googling for OPD manuals or PDFs seems to turn up nothing that is free.
Bingo - that link on the RWAP site gives a memory map :-)

Happy days :-)

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

I wish, I had known the modifications to generate a standard composite output, when I once bought my OPD from TF. The monitor, he sent with it was broken, so I modified my CUB to run with the OPD. But that means, it does not run with the QL any longer and heaven knows, what I have changed there 10 years ago...

--------- snip ---------
6. HOME BREW MODIFICATION OPTIONS

The following changes can be made:

6.1 Change IC34 from a 74LS240 to a 74LS244 to invert the video & sync. outputs from the main board to allow the use of a standard monitor
6.2 Connect TP3 to pin 15 of J3 (solder pad above Q7) to provide a composite sync. signal for a monitor

4E75 7000
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Some other mods i am considering:

I plan on changing the address decoding on the CPU module so that the ROMS occupy the first 64K/96K/128K address space

Remove the 2 Sinclair ULA's carefully, and solder in sockets and do the same for the databus transceiver and address mux's too - means I could potentially replace these with a plug in module to experiment with different video options Looks like the 128K of RAM is actually in the same place in the memory map. Some juggling of the I/O addresses and effectively it's a QL... But a QL with lots of places to plug in various things ;-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

You planning to turn it back into a novel QL?

First, check the keyboard matrix is the same. I think it might be different.