Q68 Ethernet

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Q68 Ethernet

Post by Whopper »

Hi All,

Does the Q68 have any ethernet access? Or is anyone looking at providing ethernet access?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Whopper.

You woke me for THAT!!!
robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Q68 Ethernet

Post by robheaton »

No ethernet access yet, there aren't currently any drivers for the network adapter.

I'm not sure if anyone is currently working on this, but it would be really cool to get the Q68 online! :mrgreen:

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

We need hardware drivers for the Ethernet port first. Then, a TCP/IP stack (don't know if we could use anything from uQLx or SMSQmulator, they're probably just wrappers for the underlying OS). Looks like a pretty big project to me :o

Jan.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
definitively Tcp/ip drivers for Q68 are a must for Q68 (also Qx0) even if I hardly believe one of our guru could find the time to develop them.
Crowdfunding ? I am available...

Fabrizio
robheaton wrote:No ethernet access yet, there aren't currently any drivers for the network adapter.

I'm not sure if anyone is currently working on this, but it would be really cool to get the Q68 online! :mrgreen:

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

What ethernet controller does Q68 use?

Some ethernet chips have TCP/IP stack built-in...

duncan
ROM Dongle

Post by duncan »

Back in 2006 Jonathon Dent was working on a TCP/IP internet connection package. I had a version, as did others to test called soQL3_1.zip. At that time the only way to connect a hardware QL to the internet was through the serial port. Does anyone know what happened to that?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dex wrote:What ethernet controller does Q68 use?

Some ethernet chips have TCP/IP stack built-in...
Hi,

Please the Q68 Notice 3 - Update mrssage posted 15/11/2017:

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 181#p19837

But the details of the Q68 Ethernet controller is:

Q68 Ethernet:

The Q68 has an on-board CP2200 ethernet controller with integrated IEEE 802.3 MAC and 10 Base-T PHY. At the time this manual was written, no Q68 specific software support for the CP2200 was released.
duncan wrote:Back in 2006 Jonathon Dent was working on a TCP/IP internet connection package. I had a version, as did others to test called soQL3_1.zip. At that time the only way to connect a hardware QL to the internet was through the serial port. Does anyone know what happened to that?
I did ask Jonathan Dent if he could implement soQL on the Q60, which he said could be easily. But the implementation never really got off the ground.

I will have look at what was sent to me and all the correspondence.

If the TCP/IP stack was written or use of on chip solution. What applications are available?

Applications required are: graphical browser, email client.

Browser: Lynx text only browser could be used, but not satisfactory. Prowess Browser could used, may be out of date and have limitations on HTML 4/5

Email: Maybe Qbox or Pbox BBS software be used sent emails, but the is no HTML support.

Regards,

Derek
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Derek,

Could the soQL allow file transfer between PC / Q68?

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Whopper wrote:Derek,

Could the soQL allow file transfer between PC / Q68?

Whopper
Hi,

soQL could be used on the Q68 Serial port. I will have a look at this in due course to see if the current soQL package can be implemented. There is some source code in the soQL package, maybe could be another Github project.

SERnet can be used to connect the Q68 to a QPC2 runnng QPC2, at 115200 Baud, which is faster than the QL Network. Connection to the Windows filesystem can be obtained by using the DOS device.

Sernet must be configured as:

So assuming that Q68 is S2 and QPC2 is the SERnert Server S1

Typing DIR "s1_dos1_" will give a directory listing of the Windows directory defined by DOS1_ in QPC2.

Or are you thinking of a Q68 SMSQ/E transfer to Windows?

Regards,

Derek
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Or are you thinking of a Q68 SMSQ/E transfer to Windows?
Derek,

Currently one of the main problems I have found with the Q68 is getting files to and from a source (like my PC.) Any file transfer system which is basically reliable will do. I really didn't want to have to install a serial card into my PC for Kermit to use, and then there is the problem of getting kermit onto the Q68.

Perhaps there are established methods of getting files onto and off the Q68. As I am a, fairly, new user I do not know them.

Thanks for your help,

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!