Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I supplied MDI and FDI with every Q68 supplied. Just read the manual to learn how to use the excellent software by Martin Head.

I did not however supply MDI compatible microdrive images.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Ok. I couldn't see anything in the PDF Q68 Mainboard Manual or the SMSQ/E FOR THE Q68 doc. Is there another?

And I assume that implies the mdv images that can be used on Qemulator and vDrive are not immediately compatible with the Q68?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Chr$ wrote:Ok. I couldn't see anything in the PDF Q68 Mainboard Manual or the SMSQ/E FOR THE Q68 doc. Is there another?
Well, MDI and FDI drives are generic drivers hat run on any QL platform. You should be able to obtain the manuals from the QL homepage (or they're somehwere on Derek's install, maybe).
Chr$ wrote:And I assume that implies the mdv images that can be used on Qemulator and vDrive are not immediately compatible with the Q68?
Yes, slightly different format ("_MDV" vs. "_MDI"). But there's conversion tools included in the MDI driver package that convert back and forth.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Chr$ wrote:Ok. I couldn't see anything in the PDF Q68 Mainboard Manual or the SMSQ/E FOR THE Q68 doc. Is there another?

And I assume that implies the mdv images that can be used on Qemulator and vDrive are not immediately compatible with the Q68?
Hi,

MDI and FDI are extensions to the operating system, you should look in WIN1_

FDI is in WIN1_FDI_
MDI is in WIN1_MDI_

Read the file "readme.txt" which details installation and the command added to SBASIC.

There is a command: CONVERT2_MDI which will convert MDV images to MDI format.

The Floppy drive image format is compatiable on all emulation platforms and FDI.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Aha, all within actual QL directories. Found them, thanks, will have a proper look.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Chr$ wrote:Not directly, but yes if you have it QLNET'ed with a BBQL (and Fserve), then you can access it's floppy/mdv with e.g. n1_mdv1_
What is a BBQL?

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

ql_freak wrote:
Chr$ wrote:Not directly, but yes if you have it QLNET'ed with a BBQL (and Fserve), then you can access it's floppy/mdv with e.g. n1_mdv1_
What is a BBQL?
Sorry, it's a term I didn't like at first as it confused me and can confuse others, but I still ended up adopting it over time! It's just a 'black box QL' i.e. the original Sinclair hardware.

Mad Fritz
ROM Dongle

Post by Mad Fritz »

And I thought it means Bare Bone QL
Last edited by Mad Fritz on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Mad Fritz wrote:And I thought it means Bars Bone QL
Maybe we need another acronym to indicate an original with no expansions at all. A BBBBQL? ;)

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

ql_freak wrote:What is a BBQL?
This acronym is especially problematic when hungry. The first three letters always make me think of spareribs and steaks.