Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Chr$,

This looks like you have connected the PS/2 mouse to the PS/2 Keyboard connections.

If using a PS/2 Splitter change the mouse and keyboard connections over.

I have some Belkin PS/2 Splitters available if required.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

I also tried them around the other way and nothing worked. I had them correct before (mouse in the k/b socket and vice versa, which was fine).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Please supply me with the details of the mouse. I will do some research.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

It's a Chinese cheapie.

Ultron Electronics (www.ultron.de), UM-100 PS/2 BASIC.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Chr$ wrote:It's a Chinese cheapie.

Ultron Electronics (http://www.ultron.de), UM-100 PS/2 BASIC.
I looked at the data sheet for the PS/2 Mouse, which says it has a USB connector on the English
49307.pdf
UM-100 PS/2 BASIC mouse Datasheet
(495.81 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Not dure if this is an error in the datasheet translation from German to English.

But there is the possi ility the mouse is USB connected to a PS/2 Connector, this may work on some PCs, not the Q68.

Have you tried other PS/2 mouses?

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I looked at the data sheet for the PS/2 Mouse, which says it has a USB connector on the English
I think that's a typo as they also do a USB version. But who knows. I know the type if mouse is important, i.e. it must be a proper PS/2, but I'm sure this one worked the other day. I have a couple of others but all with balls.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tested alot of PS/2 keyboards and mouses, with the Q68, I used the Belkin PS/2 splitter and a no-title splitter, all worked.

The mouse in questuin maybe not totally PS/2 compatiable.

I could buy to test out with differing configurations.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Chr$ wrote:I'm wondering if I'm going completely mad and that it never worked.... but I'm sure I started QLE and it was working at the weekend.
I could imagine a race condition between the microcontroller inside the mouse and the Q68 bootloader. In contrast to PCs, the Q68 boots extremely fast, so the mouse needs to be ready earlier.
I remember to have experimented with various initialization timings when I developed the mouse interface and it was a bit tricky. The vast majority of devices just worked, so at some point I did not invest more time.

You could try if you see a difference between the Q68 being off power for >10 minutes and being just switched off an on again. That tends to affect the reset duration somewhat. So if you see a difference, we then know the issue is timing related. That won't be a solution though, as I won't change the bootloader just for one non-working device.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Peter wrote:
Chr$ wrote:I'm wondering if I'm going completely mad and that it never worked.... but I'm sure I started QLE and it was working at the weekend.
I could imagine a race condition between the microcontroller inside the mouse and the Q68 bootloader. In contrast to PCs, the Q68 boots extremely fast, so the mouse needs to be ready earlier.
I remember to have experimented with various initialization timings when I developed the mouse interface and it was a bit tricky. The vast majority of devices just worked, so at some point I did not invest more time.

You could try if you see a difference between the Q68 being off power for >10 minutes and being just switched off an on again. That tends to affect the reset duration somewhat. So if you see a difference, we then know the issue is timing related. That won't be a solution though, as I won't change the bootloader just for one non-working device.
I tried it today after the Q68 had been off all night. Same thing. But that's ok, a working ball mouse is much better than none at all.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Chr$,

Do you use use a PS/2 Splitter with the mouse?

Regards,

Derek