US QL 8-PIN DIN

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

US QL 8-PIN DIN

Post by lowrybt »

Hello,

I have a U.K. QL that I've successfully hooked up to my NTSC 1080p TV using a QL-SCART cable and SCART-HDMI converter box from HK. I've been pondering using the same set of connections (not the boring AV RCA port) to connect my US QL to the hi-def TV's HDMI port. Here's the thing. I remember reading somewhere that the 8-pin DIN that shipped with the US model had +5V added to one of the pins (maybe in place of the Composite PAL signal), so I'm worried I will fry something. Anyone have experience using the QL-SCART cables from Retro Gaming Cables and a SCART-HDMI converter to connect a US QL in this way?

Thanks,

Tom

lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: US QL 8-PIN DIN

Post by lowrybt »

Solved this on my own by trying it out and holding my breath. Everything worked fine. So, QL/SCART adapter cable plugged into SCART/HDMI converter in turn connected via HDMI cable to LCD TV works greater using the same 8-pin DIN video out cable on both US and UK versions of the QL.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Only see this now,

actually, there isn't a big chance that the QL monitor socket would be having +5V somewhere added only for US versions: It's already fully occupied in the European version. Simply no space for crazy experiments ;)

Pin Signal
1 Composite PAL
2 0 Volts DC 0V
3 Composite Mono Video
4 Composite Sync
5 Vertical Sync
6 Green
7 Red
8 Blue

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

So this is an old post, but just to confirm that indeed the US model has +5V added on pin 1 (I just measured it) and PAL composite does not work (pin 1 and 2) but monochrome composite does (pin 3 and 2). So curious, why the +5V on pin 1?

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

Hi
I have been lucky at the fleemarket, I got a Commodore 1084S monitor at the price of 10 GBP. I just had to clean it. My question is, is it possible that someone out there have a schematic of the cable between the QL and the monitor. Both have a 8 pin socket.

Regards

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

klausfrank wrote:Hi
I have been lucky at the fleemarket, I got a Commodore 1084S monitor at the price of 10 GBP. I just had to clean it. My question is, is it possible that someone out there have a schematic of the cable between the QL and the monitor. Both have a 8 pin socket.

Regards
When I got my 2nd hand 1084S a few years ago I found some pdf manuals but these only showed a 9D connection.
But I also found this image showing the TTL and analog RGB connections of my model.
I hope this helps.

BSJR
Attachments
1084sbis-07k3eeg.png

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

Thank you very much. :) :)

Regards