DIY RAM EXPANSION

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tcat
Super Gold Card

DIY RAM EXPANSION

Post by tcat »

Dear All,

I have a plain 128k no TK2 good quality QL, I wish to expand it with a little amount of RAM, to get at least to a double i.e. 2x128k, as was the Sinclair option for QL developers back in 1984.

I am not much good at h/w designing as most of you here likely are. I looked at these components I wish to use to build my own expander ram.

DIN 2x32 1pc of female connector
DRAM 4164 a handfull
Some capacitors, resistors, not sure what values

Please see pictures.
memory
memory
connector
connector
I would welcome any guidence or suggestions of yours, as for where to get recommended PCB layout, is there an article in one of the QL USER back issues covering this, what other components I may need etc.

In the QL Technical Guide, there is a paragraph covering external peripherals and expansions, but I realise I need more advice to get started.

Many thanks in advance
TCAT

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: DIY RAM EXPANSION

Post by 1024MAK »

I don't recommend using old type DRAM (dynamic RAM) chips for any new build. Old DRAM chips need some extra circuitry to generate the DRAM refresh signals. Given that static RAM (SRAM) chips of the sizes that are useful to us are now cheap, and are much easier to use, and need less "glue" logic, unless you want large amounts (>512k bytes) of RAM, use a SRAM chip.

Myself, I have been thinking of removing both Sinclair ROM chips, programming a EPROM with the OS & BASIC and putting this into one ROM socket. These leaves one ROM socket free to take a 128k SRAM chip. Of course, some extra chips will be needed to adjust the address decoding and for the DTACK signal.

This "project" has only got as far as the idea stage...

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
TabajaraLabs
ROM Dongle

Post by TabajaraLabs »

I built one using a 512K SRAM chip and a PAL...Now where I found this design? I'll look for it and post here :)

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

1024MAK wrote:I don't recommend using old type DRAM (dynamic RAM) chips for any new build. Old DRAM chips need some extra circuitry to generate the DRAM refresh signals. Given that static RAM (SRAM) chips of the sizes that are useful to us are now cheap, and are much easier to use, and need less "glue" logic, unless you want large amounts (>512k bytes) of RAM, use a SRAM chip.

Myself, I have been thinking of removing both Sinclair ROM chips, programming a EPROM with the OS & BASIC and putting this into one ROM socket. These leaves one ROM socket free to take a 128k SRAM chip. Of course, some extra chips will be needed to adjust the address decoding and for the DTACK signal.

This "project" has only got as far as the idea stage...

Mark
DRAM is not trivial to interface, and using old DRAM is really not recommended. Besides, 16 chips are needed for 128k, the board and sockets will cost more than buying a single 512k SRAM chip which is nearly trivial to interface to the bus.

The QL ROM socket has 28 pins and a total of 16 address lines, hence you can put at most 64k SRAM into it, and that's assuming you use wires to get to the rest of the address lines, read/write, data strobe, DSMCL etc...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The one thing people ask for most is a simple floppy interface and 512K RAM. There isn't room in the market to do both UltraQ and the basic interface, so I won't be doing it unfortunately, but there is a good chance I will do a basic 512K expansion by itself that can replace a lot of older memory expansions, be a bit quicker, and use a lot less power... I've been fence-sitting on that one for a long time.

Haven't decided if I should get off the fence or not.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Dave wrote:The one thing people ask for most is a simple floppy interface and 512K RAM. There isn't room in the market to do both UltraQ and the basic interface, so I won't be doing it unfortunately, but there is a good chance I will do a basic 512K expansion by itself that can replace a lot of older memory expansions, be a bit quicker, and use a lot less power... I've been fence-sitting on that one for a long time.

Haven't decided if I should get off the fence or not.
Do I detect a crack developing in your nether regions after all this fence sitting?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I could not read the comment in yellow, as I get the QL Forum by RSS feed.

Only when I selected the message and Thunderbird with ThunderBrow Addon opened the web page, could I read the comment. :P

Derek

Regards,

Derek
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I could not read the comment in yellow, as I get the QL Forum by RSS feed.

Only when I selected the message and Thunderbird with ThunderBrow Addon opened the web page, could I read the comment. :P

Derek
I will consider that for the future Derek :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

1024MAK wrote:I don't recommend using old type DRAM (dynamic RAM) chips for any new build. Old DRAM chips need some extra circuitry to generate the DRAM refresh signals. Given that static RAM (SRAM) chips of the sizes that are useful to us are now cheap, and are much easier to use, and need less "glue" logic,

Mark
Cannot the QL internal qlue and line addressing be somehow reused through expander connector, providing it similar RAM chips to those used inside QL, though fitted on a separate board?

I have seen this SIMPLEX RAM Expansion here
http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... on&lang=en

TCAT

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

There will be a properly made 896K SRAM-based memory expansion on the market in just a few weeks.