DIY RAM EXPANSION

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Re: DIY RAM EXPANSION

Post by belg4rion67 »

prime wrote:And just to keep people updated...

My internal version is now working, I had a couple of issues with the PLD as I wanted to use different pins, and converted the source from PALASM to WinCUPL, but working now.

I also had to remove and replace the (red) double height CPU socket and replace with a couple of 24 pin turned pin sockets, but that was easy enough as I have a desolder gun.

Picture here : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 235ce2f002

Cheers.

Phill.
Hi Phill, your expansion is very very nice and also perfect to put into bbql so ...is your intention to share pcb layout in this forum ? I've seen in spanish forum similar but rudimental kind of expansion but yours is better :)
Cheers
Paolo

Only original hardware! :)
prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Well

I did say a few posts back that so as not to compete with Dave's boards I'd not be making any beyond what I needed.

If Dave doesn't mind I'm quite happy to share the Eagle PCB files for this one, the PAL code is basically the same as TCAT's board, just implemented in CUPL.

Cheers.

Phill.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I don't have any objections. Anyone who helps the community should be commended.

I find it amusing that people ask me if I object to things. If you guys want to do something, you should do it! If someone starts off on a venture that conflicts with mine, also great. If you make a competing product that will harm my sales - also great. I will even co-operate with you by giving you the most detail I can about my plans.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

I want ram expansion for my QL and would like build it myself.

I am mot interested in a commerical venture. Had enough grief with the Q60.

Regards,

Derek
prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Ok here's the Eagle and WinCUPL files for the internal RAM feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Thanks must go to TCAT, as this is basically an internal version of his RAM board.
InternalRam-mk1.10.zip
Ram board files
(58.5 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Just a quick note on the Eagle board files there is a layer called 'drill_aid' if you are making the board by hand etching and drilling manually, you should print this layer out when making the masks for the top and bottom etches as it makes locating the drill correctly for drilling the larger holes much easier.

You also might want to put a top and bottom layer polygon over the board so you only etch the copper either side of the tracks, you'll probably want to use an isolate setting on this of 24mils, the uploaded board doesn't have this as I normally put multiple boards on a single Eurocard sized board before etching so as to better utilize the board I have a script that draws the eurocard and polygons as needed.

You may also need to load the RAM.dru (design rules) or the pads on the CPU may end up being too big.

The CPU holes are designed to accommodate turned pins like the ones from sockets pushed out and fitted individually.

Cheers.

Phill.
Last edited by prime on Mon May 26, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Dave wrote:I don't have any objections. Anyone who helps the community should be commended.
That's good to know :)
I find it amusing that people ask me if I object to things. If you guys want to do something, you should do it! If someone starts off on a venture that conflicts with mine, also great. If you make a competing product that will harm my sales - also great. I will even co-operate with you by giving you the most detail I can about my plans.
On my part it comes from handling certain um 'prickly' people in the Acorn community who took anything that had functionality similar to his as 're-inventing the wheel' even when said functionality was improved or operated in a different way. I just wanted to make sure I didn't trample anyone's toes.

Cheers,

Phill.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I would not want to be thought of as a prickly person. :)

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Certain communities are world famous for being full of cactus plants since 1980s when I first encountered them :-)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

prime wrote:On my part it comes from handling certain um 'prickly' people in the Acorn community
Hehehe, I seem to have encountered the same people. One of the reasons I love the QL scene is that (most) people go out of their way to help you and if they can't they try to find someone else who can :) There is a good community spirit.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

I hope y'all are not including the large numbers of helpful friendly Stardotters in this 'prickly' category :shock:

In my experience, most err, communities have at least one annoying (being polite here) person :?

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)