QL board damage

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
robineattell
ROM Dongle

QL board damage

Post by robineattell »

In removing the QL board from my Thor and plugging in my old QL power supply and connercting it upside down can anyone tell me what I have likely cooked ?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: QL board damage

Post by vanpeebles »

Moved to hardware section :)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Thor 20, I assume?

Provided you have not shorted anything or bent or broken the expansion port, I would assume the connection between the QL socket and the 68020 daughter board would be the problem (that is kind of a bit of weight for the socket it lives in.

What's the exact symptoms?

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
robineattell
ROM Dongle

Post by robineattell »

Thanks Tobias ,
I forgot to mention I have a Thor 1 , no daughter board .
What I did was to separate to QL board to test the board itself , connect the RGB to a monitor and then , unfortunately , the QL power supply incorrectly .
Not having a QL I couldn't see which way up the power connector should be , I know now after downloading QL tech manual .
Could it be the ZX 8301 ? I assume capacitors and resistors are ok , but ICs can be damaged by reverse polarity .
I do appreciate the humour in my situ !

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The pin-out is 9v DC, GND, 15.6V AC. If it was connected inverted at the rear power socket, the 7805 regulator would not operate correctly, but also would not pass a voltage higher than +5v DC, for some considerable time. It's unlikely this could damage your 5v components after the PSU.

However, in the Thor, if you connected the supply inverted to the 7805's socket directly, the reversed -5v could do quite widespread damage to every IC.

You might be better off buying a replacement QL PCB from RWAP and using it as a replacement.