Better OS for QL+Trump Card 2

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Better OS for QL+Trump Card 2

Post by belg4rion67 »

Hi all, I've purchased a lovely trump card 2 interface with 768 Kb ram (thanks RWAP!) for my QL and I have possibilities to burn any type of operating system so I would ask to all what is the best solution for standard QL+trump card 2+qimi+hermes (now I've Minerva 1.98+TK2 2.12 on 64k eprom)
Any suggestion will be well accepted :)
Cheers
Paolo

Only original hardware! :)
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Better OS for QL+Trump Card 2

Post by tofro »

Paolo,
Sorry to disappoint you, but your combination would not be able to run anything better than what you already have (SMSQ/E, which would be the next step after Minnie 1.98 would at least need a GoldCard).

What is it what you're missing in Minnie 1.98? Maybe you can boost your experience through some of the various toolkits available?

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Of course, the Window Manager (wman) and Pointer Environment (ptr_gen) should run happily under QDOS with Minerva ROM.
For the windowing environment, SMSQ/E is not necessarily required (some applications may require it, but not all of them).

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Ha,
right - I tend to forget those two guys as I somehow take them for granted on my QLs! You want a Qimi or SerMouse (Qimi only second-hand, SerMouse should still be available from Jochen Merz), however, to support a mouse. The EE works with the cursor keys, but that's not very convenient in my opinion.

Tobias

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

ahh that's right my friends... I don't want to buy a gold card... is not cheaper for me now, in effect I want to explore some feature and some softwares written for our QL but I don't need more speed or power; I'm a romantic vintage man so I'll try to work with QL same as guys in 80's :P
I've already a 2 buttons mouse with qimi and it has also battery backup for real time clock; my question is if toolkit on trump card 2 is full so I can burn a new eprom with only Minerva or is a good choice to use minerva and tk2 on eprom AND toolkit on trump card

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The Toolkit 2 provided on the Trump Card is indeed the full version - so you can remove that from your Minerva ROM and make some more room.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Paolo,
to my knowledge, the TrumpCard had the full STK II on board (Plus Miracle's SDUMP plus the floppy commands) - So you could use the ROM space in the Minerva EPROM for something else.

Regards,
Tobias

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

thanks a lot guys :) your suggestions are very useful... I'll prepare asap a new eprom with only minerva.

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

... when the trump card will arrive I'll test new eprom with it; I'll inform you about work in progress :D

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Now I've modified my Minnie eprom to cut out last 16 Kbyte so TK2 is not operative:
DSC_0040.jpg
I wouldn't prepare a pcb so I made a piggy back mod :P

This is a view of my QL with some other mods:
DSC_0041.jpg

..and now I'm waiting for tc2 :)