Microdrive data line format

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
skagon
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: Microdrive data line format

Post by skagon »

I have to say, this is looking damn good! I've been tracking your progress and it's amazing. Actually, it's a wonder nobody had thought of doing this before, but... better late than never!
Keep posted, mate!

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Post by Simon_Carr »

RWAP wrote:I would also aim to have this as a replacement which could fit in either the QL's microdrive slots, or a ZX Spectrum microdrive unit - that would open it to the widest possible market!
I really like the idea of fitting this into a ZX microdrive unit... minimal messing around with the inside of the QL, but also potential compatibility and access to the massive ZX Spectrum retro community. I know there are storage systems out there already such as the DivIDE and IF1bis, but this would be amazing. Keep at it! If you could get this working, I would certainly be wanting to buy a few.

Simon

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

Wow, nice project and great results!

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Indeed a great project...

Along similar lines I did think of awhile ago about the technology that currently exists that does this http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cassette-adapter-sd and whether a smaller fit inside a microdrive slot replacement (although larger) cartridge would be possible. It works on head to head transfer of data and this is ultimately stored/retrieved from a built in SD card and remote controlled as you would do a cassette tape in a linear fashion. No idea of how effective with actual data or even if it would work but an intriguing concept and does not require opening up the QL. Limited in size though,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
gertk
Hardware Hero

Post by gertk »

The fact that every QL has the external MD connector is also the reason why I like my device to be external giving all possibilities to re-arrange the drive numbering by a suitable driver. Only thing needed would be a command to load the driver from microdrive 3 when the internal drives are still present.

At the moment I have not much time to spare for the emulator project, but hopefully after the holidays are over I can finish the PCB design and get some prototypes working for developing the driver.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Hehe the QL world is waiting with bated breath too!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

vanpeebles wrote:Hehe the QL world is waiting with bated breath too!

Yes indeed - this is my preferred solution and it will also hopefully find a market with the Spectrum community.

A lot of people are waiting for the QL-SD projects to reach the market - I get asked every few days!

Keep up the good work!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It's like The Day the Earth Stood Still except we have Gert instead of Gort :ugeek:

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Does anyone know if there has been any further progress with this?

fersamper
ROM Dongle

Post by fersamper »

Digo lo mismo que Rwap....se sabe algo de este fantástico proyecto...?