Projects in motion.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Projects in motion.

Post by Dave »

That's another thread on this site. It's an IDE-> CF adaptor card plugged into a QubIDE which is hidden inside the QL's case on top of the Gold Card.

Very neat.

I would love to see the backplane inside that machine.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Just a thought Dave, have you ever explored the Kickstarter program, not only a good inclusive community process but the 'rewards' can vary from very little outlay/small donation to the completed item/much bigger donation and more. It could be a feasible way to go.

I frequently look at this site to see what's going on, and what people are trying to do. It is very diverse even in the technology section. Someone wants to make and put free book exchange library boxes around their town another wants you to own your own 3D Printer.

Maybe worth a look for anything QL related.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Fun times.

My little board now has working: 16 MHz 68EC020, video and 640K of RAM. Minerva and TK2 in flash. Floppy interface. Keyboard interface for the standard QL membrane. I implemented one serial and joystick port and they work badly like on the original QL. No microdrives. It works with a QubIDE on the expansion connector - it has four expansion connectors. It requires the donor custom logic from an old QL.

I'm going to put my current schematic into a nice PCB layout then get a couple more prototype boards made - 4 layer - good power and signal integrity compared to the Samsung QLs I have access to.

Disclaimer: Just an update. Please remember this is a personal project only - it's not ever likely to be made, and it's not worthy of note other than for discussion.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

That said, I'd be interested in input on the following:

Improving the circuitry of the serial outputs. I noted a big improvement in signal quality just from 4-layer design with good power and ground, using a good quality switch mode PSU.

Video. It would be great if someone who had the knowhow could do a standalone "video chip"...

Given the demand for floppy interfaces with RAM, I am on the lookout for a cheap batch of 1770/1772s as doing that would be almost trivial. Just saying.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote: Video. It would be great if someone who had the knowhow could do a standalone "video chip"...
How are you doing it now? Cloning the QL's ZX8301 + DRAM? Or something derived from Aurora?

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Just using the original logic.

JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

+1 for SD card support... Something cheap / small to plug into the ROM port perhaps? I have a Trump Card already...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

My plan is to incorporate QubIDE onto the main board, so it'll have floppy and IDE right there. I'll position the IDE connectors so one is ideally positioned for an IDE->CF adaptor, since that's a more flexible and cost effective use of resources.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Want this so bad! :ugeek:

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I implemented the QL network last night, and it works great. Doesn't take up much space, either.