Sinclair QL Greek rom burn.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: Sinclair QL Greek rom burn.

Post by chriskgnr »

ppe wrote:Do you see the TKII ROM banner on the boot screen? TK version should be displayed in green text if the ROM image is read correctly.

Best regards,
Petri
No, the QJump TKII ROM banner, never showed up.

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I think you are referring to my post, I have a modified ROM Cartridge that maps the QL Rom and the Rom Port Areas.

If I remember correctly, it is just a matter of soldering some wire links on the cartridge. :P

I will try to find it over the week end and post some photographs.

Derek
Yes, i am reffering to your post about Minerva+TKII in the same eprom. If you find it, just throw a post in here. I want to try it! :)

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

Depends on how you routed the connection of the ROM to the socket.
I have board with 64 kB ROM, simple logic and a jumper (to turn the Toolkit on/off). It fits just to one of the ROM sockets, no additional wires to the mainboard.
The only problem is, that Toolkit II must be turned off when using external ROM (e.g. ICE, Ser/USB ROM driver, or external Toolkit II etc).
So there is a way.
http://tcg.speccy.cz/zoom/ql/pics/ql_eprom_module.png (the jumper switch is marked C000H/FFFFH)

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

I used an almost identical schematic, which i found in the forum, but it didn't had the two position jumper. When i saw your schematic, i thought that maybe this jumper has to do something with the eprom addressing, in the way that in upper position the eprom is addressed until BFFF(48K firmware) and at the lower position the addressing goes 'til FFFF(64K=48K firmware+16K TKII) which includes the TKII program. So i made a short circuit between 20 and 14 eprom pins, but again no TKII on the horizon. I think that maybe there are two points that i must search. The first is, if the split/join program i use produce the correct 64K file. The second is, if i make a mistake when i program the 25C512. I programmed the eprom with the joined 48K+16K single file and then i programmed the eprom in two steps, first the upper part with the 16K(TKII) and then the lower 48K part with the firmware. But again no light in the tunnel!
Any ideas?

ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

chriskgnr wrote:I programmed the eprom with the joined 48K+16K single file and then i programmed the eprom in two steps, first the upper part with the 16K(TKII) and then the lower 48K part with the firmware. But again no light in the tunnel!
Any ideas?
Have you checked that the file you created has the correct hex code at the correct offset? And if you then peek the memory at the external ROM module address, do you see the correct contents?

External ROM images should begin with the hex codes 4AFB so if you do a PRINT PEEK_W(49152) you should get 19195. If you don't, then at least two possibilities come to mind:
- incorrect EPROM contents either due to incorrect source file or bad burn
- incorrect/faulty wiring for address decode

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

ppe wrote:Have you checked that the file you created has the correct hex code at the correct offset? And if you then peek the memory at the external ROM module address, do you see the correct contents?

External ROM images should begin with the hex codes 4AFB so if you do a PRINT PEEK_W(49152) you should get 19195. If you don't, then at least two possibilities come to mind:
- incorrect EPROM contents either due to incorrect source file or bad burn
- incorrect/faulty wiring for address decode
You are right! The 4A FB hex codes was not found at C0 00 address of the joined source file, but at BE B5 address. This happened because the Minerva rom image i downloaded isn't 48K exactly, but 47.6K. I have opened now the min198.rom with a hex editor program and i will fill with 00 until the BFFF address to make it 48K. That way, when i will join the TKII code, the Toolkit will start from C000 address. I think that now evrything will go well! :)

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Yes, it worked! :D
Min1.98+TKII.jpg
and i want to thank all of you, for your help! :D

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

EPROMS are cheap and I have a bunch of 74LS00 ICs here. I just need to get an EPROM programmer and I'm all set to assemble these Minerva boards. However, they are the later version that had a battery backed clock and I2C port. I do not have the details of the components needed to enable those features, but I will look.

As with the gold card batteries, it may take a little time ;)

cybervet
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by cybervet »

I have a similar problem with Chris. I made an EPROM with Minerva and TKII but on the boot screen wjile the Minerva logo is there I don't see the Qjump logo.
I checked and I do have the 4AFB at C000, the wiring of the pcb is correct but when I Type PRINT PEEK_W(49152) instead of getting 19195 I am getting 3855 (Hex F0F).
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated .
I was wondering in the pcb that is presented above if the part we see is the top or the bottom.
Tassos