*SOLVED* SERMOUSE on QL with SMSQ/E

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
genetika
Over Heated PSU

*SOLVED* SERMOUSE on QL with SMSQ/E

Post by genetika »

Hi.
I have a Sinclair QL with SuperGoldCard and Minerva ROM.
I'm using SMSQ/E Gold O.S.. I tried to connect a serial mouse using a SER1 / DB9 adapter.
(The SerMouse driver should be provided with the SMSQ/E O.S.)...
After booting SMSQ/E Gold I have loaded the QSPRED2003 application, but I'm not able to use the mouse. Are there some configurations to provide ?
(I've tried using a logitech RS232 mouse and a generic RS232 three keys mouse).

:shock:

Could you please help me ?

:)

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Massimino
Last edited by genetika on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dex
Gold Card

Re: SERMOUSE on QL with SMSQ/E

Post by dex »

The SerMouse driver should be provided with the SMSQ/E O.S.
NO.

I think, it only supports QIMI Mouse and Sandy Mouse.
For serial mouse, there should be an additional driver.

Citation follows (Dilwyn):
"If you wish to use a serial mouse, with a suitable adapter lead for the QL serial port you can add a PC style serial mouse to the QL. You will need the SERMOUSE driver software from Albin Hessler to make it work (this interfaces the serial mouse to the pointer environment). This works with 99% of all QL pointer driven software, the main drawback being that it is probably the fiddliest (though perhaps the cheapest) mouse option."

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The sermouse driver was supplied on the Gold Card / Super Gold Card version of SMSQ/e disk.

You had to install it separately with LRESPR flp1_Sermouse

If the file is missing, then you will need to contact Jochen Merz

If the file is there and you have installed it, then it suggests an issue with the mouse you use.

Any serial mouse (not bus mouse) should work plugged into the serial port (you may of course need an adaptor).

Other options are:

QIMI - this plugs inside the QL itself, and needs an Atari BUS Mouse
SuperHERMES - this replaces the QL's 8049 processor and adds extra serial ports, plus other capabilities. It includes a dedicated mouse port and a high speed serial port. This works with a standard serial mouse as above

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Oops - forgot that there is also the DIY Toolkit serial mouse driver available from Dilwyn's site - that emulates the cursor keys, so will work with the pointer environment.

The only mouse interface which does not work with the pointer environment is the early MICE interface form Eidersoft which had its own desktop GUI (ICE).

There was also the Smiling Mouse - although I never owned one of these... I think it also emulates the cursor keys so could be used with the Pointer Environment

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Post by genetika »

Hi Rich!
Thanks for your answer!

I tried LRESPR flp1_sermouse after loading SMSQ ... but I received the following error
"bad parameter" ... It there a special parameter to provide to activate the mouse or a special configuration to set?

If I try to load LRESPR flp1_sermouse before SMSQ, the system hang up!...

Best regards!
Massimino

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

It there a special parameter to provide to activate the mouse or a special configuration to set?
Probably the serial port number?
If I try to load LRESPR flp1_sermouse before SMSQ, the system hang up!...
That is correct; driver must be loaded after SMSQ is started.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Realistically, you need to get a hold of the SMSQ/e for Gold Card manual from Jochen Merz - I can't find my copy at the moment to look this up.

Basically there should be a configuration block from memory in the sermouse driver which you need to configure with:

Code: Select all

exec flp1_config;'flp1_sermouse'
This will prompt you to setup the baud rate, serial port used etc.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:The sermouse driver was supplied on the Gold Card / Super Gold Card version of SMSQ/e disk.

You had to install it separately with LRESPR flp1_Sermouse

If the file is missing, then you will need to contact Jochen Merz

If the file is there and you have installed it, then it suggests an issue with the mouse you use.

Any serial mouse (not bus mouse) should work plugged into the serial port (you may of course need an adaptor).

Other options are:

QIMI - this plugs inside the QL itself, and needs an Atari BUS Mouse
SuperHERMES - this replaces the QL's 8049 processor and adds extra serial ports, plus other capabilities. It includes a dedicated mouse port and a high speed serial port. This works with a standard serial mouse as above
Many years ago I had problems like this with a Sermouse I used to use on a QL. I tried (and failed) to find the document where I kept my notes about how I solved it.

One of the cures with some types of mouse was to hold down a button as you powered up the QL and mouse to force it to enter correct mode. I think it was left button. Can't remember if it was with 2 button or 3 button mouse, or whether it applied to both depending on which mode that mouse entered on power up.

If I find that document I'll add the info here - try the "hold left mouse button down at startup" to see if it has any effect with the type of ser mouse you use.

Dilwyn

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Post by genetika »

Dear All.
I have received the SERMOUSE driver documentation (J-M-S send a copy to me)..

"...Most 3-button mice without mode switch are switched into 3-button mode by pressing the left button during power-on. Mice switching automatically (by software) between 2-button or 3-button mode may only work in 2-button mode on a QL..."

As described by RWAP in the previuos message, I have configured the mouse with the following command :

flp1_config;'flp1_sermouse'

and, after this, I was able to load the SERMOUSE driver successfully (after SMSQ/E boot) . :)

Hovewer, now the mouse is not functioning .. :-(
I have tried with two different serial mouse ( 2 and 3 buttons )...
Now I'm going to check if the SER1-DB9 cable converter that I'm using is correct ... :?

M.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dilwyn wrote:One of the cures with some types of mouse was to hold down a button as you powered up the QL and mouse to force it to enter correct mode. I think it was left button. Can't remember if it was with 2 button or 3 button mouse, or whether it applied to both depending on which mode that mouse entered on power up.
If I find that document I'll add the info here - try the "hold left mouse button down at startup" to see if it has any effect with the type of ser mouse you use.
[/quote]
Ah, found it, it was in Roy Wood's Byts Of Wood column in QL Today back in Volume 4. I copied and pasted this off the QL Today DVD. The next most likely problem as you said is the adaptor cable wiring, I presume you are using a German QL? Do not follow the wiring published on my website for German QLs, Urs has pointed out a mistake in it (until I get time to fix the article).

"Another point was made by
Malcolm Cadman when talking
about Mice and the QL. lf you
use some 3-button mice and
think they don't work try
holding the left mouse button
down when firing it up. This will
force the mouse to fire up as a
three button mouse and not as
a two button one 0n my old
SERmouse system this was vital
in order to stop the mouse