QXL SMSQ/E Version

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: QXL SMSQ/E Version

Post by Martin_Head »

I don't know anything about the QXL cards. So this might be a silly suggestion.

But could it be an issue with the PC it's plugged into. Or the version of operating system DOS/Windows?

Can you try it in another PC?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Martin_Head wrote:I don't know anything about the QXL cards. So this might be a silly suggestion.

But could it be an issue with the PC it's plugged into. Or the version of operating system DOS/Windows?

Can you try it in another PC?
Hi,

I built up a PC with a K6-2 500 512Mb Ram, with MSDOS 6.22.

I tried SMSQ/E v3.38 and is working.

The other PC was an Amstrad PC7486SLC running at 33Mhz gast enough to run the All03a Programmer, but not SMSQ/E v3.06 onwards.

Any way, the Amstrad is relagated to programming old eproms.

I have 3 QXL 2b fittted with an 68040 with FPU, cards which , I will test with the new setup.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

That's interesting, it seems there is now a minimum PC host spec to run a QXL card with the newest SMSQ/E. I wonder what aspect of the slow 486 was simply too slow to run it.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Chr$ wrote:That's interesting, it seems there is now a minimum PC host spec to run a QXL card with the newest SMSQ/E. I wonder what aspect of the slow 486 was simply too slow to run it.
It's unlikely a 486 is too slow for QXL - That card used to be used used in simple Amstrad 8086 PCs with 4.77MHz and used to work.

Can you check whether the QXL's I/O adress ($280) is maybe occupied by something already?

Or ist the QXL jumpered to a different I/O address (using the switches) and you didn't give that at the start?

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The QXL is configured to use PC address $2B0

This address is not used by the PC or any of the other peripherals.

I did not mention this due thinking it was obvious, after rwading the QXL Maual.

I do not what the problem was, but SMSQ/E v3.38 is working on a QXL 2, running at 25Mhz (CPU halfed from QXL 50Mhz clock) fitted with a 68040RC40M from a Q40. (The Q40 to uprated to Q60).

You might be interested in this:
QXL PCB Top
QXL PCB Top
QXL PCB Bot
QXL PCB Bot
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I built up a PC with a K6-2 500 512Mb Ram, with MSDOS 6.22.
I tried SMSQ/E v3.38 and is working.
I have not tested 3.38 yet but have had problems with SMSQE for QXL since 3.35.
Version 3.34 is the last one that boots correctly in both m4 and m32, no keyboard issues are found.
3.35 Hangs, no screen or prompt but Ctrl/S.lock still works.
3.36 is OK in m32 but stops in m4 with "address 02B0h not responding", sometimes after briefly showing the default windows.
3.37 always hangs but as Ctrl/S.Lock works some part of SMSQE must be working.

My machine is a 166MHz/i586 started in M$DOS (from W98) with an 8Mb QXL2.
Normally I start an old Norton Commander with my SMSQE dir open and start the QXL from there.
Starting QXL direct form the CLI, without NC, makes no difference in the behaviour.

BSJR

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tried SMSQ/E v3.35,3.36,3.37,3.38, all started up to the QL Windows.

v3.35, 3.36, 3.37 started up in 640x480 mode, but froze when a key was pressed.

V3.38, locked up when anything was loaded in.

Is this hardware or software?

SMSQ v2.76, v2.57 runs okay and loads in the Extended environment.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have solved the problem with the QXL2 not being able to run some versions of SMSQ/E.

Its seems that the QXL Ram on the board was using different speeds of ram in bank 2 of the QXL.

I think I must of mixed up some Super Gold card ram with the QXL ram.

The QXL uses Toshiba TC514400AZ-60 which is 60ns Zip ram.

I checked the 3 QXL Cards, which:

QXL1 8Mb: 15 x 60ns, 1 80 ns ram
QXL2 8Mb: 9 x 60ns, 7 x 70ns ram

I have removed the 70ns and 80 ns ram and replaced the ram chips with 60ns ram chips.

I was given the QXL cards with ram in one bank on each card, and bought some 60ns ram.

I also have 2 Super Gold card and a Gold card, which use the same type of ram chip but slower access time, ehich is probably where the 70ns & 80ns ram chips came from.

So I tried QXL 1 with 68RC040 8Mb 60ns Zip Ram, which the QXL booted up with SMSQ/E v3.38 and has been running for over 8 hours.

So I guess a working QXL !!!

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Good to know, well done.

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:48 pm Hi,
I have solved the problem with the QXL2 not being able to run some versions of SMSQ/E.
Its seems that the QXL Ram on the board was using different speeds of ram in bank 2 of the QXL.
The RAM issue is unlikely to be the cause for my problems with SMSQ/E v3.34+ so far.
The QXL2 was never tempered with since new in '96, only moved from an old machine to a less old machine.

But I am happy to report that v3.38 gives none of the previous startup problems, both in mode 4 and mode 32.
One small issue remains, while my old machine gave me 1024x768x4, the less old only manages 800x600 depite a bigger graphics card. Yes, it is configured right.

BSJR