** SOLVED ** search for details on powerregulator upgrade

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
techy
Gold Card

** SOLVED ** search for details on powerregulator upgrade

Post by techy »

Hi forum ,

Is there anyone who can help me with details on the internal-poweregulator-upgrade as sold in the early days to replace the 7805.

Heat kills , and the upgrade was a switching regulator without the big heating issues.

i would like to build one , to replace the 7805 in my ql.

any info is welcome :D

techy
Last edited by techy on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: search for details on powerregulator upgrade

Post by 1024MAK »

Now, I've not yet tried any of these yet, but on some other machines (e.g. Spectrums and ZX81's) some people have fitted switch mode converters like Traco DC-DC Converters TSR-1 Series 1 A or RECOM R-78Bxx-1.0 DC/DC-Converters.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

1024MAK wrote:Now, I've not yet tried any of these yet, but on some other machines (e.g. Spectrums and ZX81's) some people have fitted switch mode converters like Traco DC-DC Converters TSR-1 Series 1 A or RECOM R-78Bxx-1.0 DC/DC-Converters.

Mark
We (German ZX-Team) use those switching regulators like the recom in our ZX80 replicas and ZX81s.
There are also (at least two) other producers. Recom is the "oldest".
The picture from ZX81s are quite sensitive to noise (ripple from the switching) on the VCC, someone found out that a small coil between the 5V Output of the recom and the mainboard minimizes this.
for more info look here. The size of the coil needed corresonds to the current drawn ;)
In case of lingual problems google translator may be helpful. If that is not sufficient, do not hesitate to ask.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Thanks for all answers ,

buying a dc/dc converter is much cheaper than making one myself.

i have found several .

Even ebay has sellers which offer those.

update !! , i have ordered this one ( see picture ) and hope it will do .

techy
Attachments
adjustable 150 khz dc-dc converter.jpg
adjustable 150 khz dc-dc converter.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .