Upgrading Q40 to 68060 CPU

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Silvester
Gold Card

Re: Upgrading Q40 to 68060 CPU

Post by Silvester »

I think I will populate socket with all pins available on 060 (unless you know of problem).

All I need to do now is sit on my hands and wait until a 68EC060RC75 is found. I only toyed with idea of overclocking lower speed rev.6 since a couple were available.

David
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Silvester wrote:I think I will populate socket with all pins available on 060 (unless you know of problem).
That is no problem. Please keep us updated on your progress and good luck!

By the way, I had a look at the DRAM controller regarding FPM versus EDO and see a chance that the 80 MHz setup (but not the 60/66 MHz ones) might even work with the FPM RAM you seem to have.
This is just theoretical, I never tested any 68060 setup with FPM RAM.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

I realised I still have my old Gateway Pentium 75 machine which can accept FPM or EDO. I can swap out two of the EDO 60nS 16Mb SIMMs for the Q40 :D

David
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I will have a look in my Q60 spares, for a suitable CPU, which are in long term storage.

Regards,

Derek
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I will have a look in my Q60 spares, for a suitable CPU, which are in long term storage.
Be interested to hear if you have a suitable 68060 CPU available :). Got a few parallel projects going on at moment so whenever you get time to look into your long term storage is OK. I still have a PiStorm waiting to be put into my old Amiga A500, hardware part is straightforward, just got to take time to immerse into software side :?. Then once I'm familiar with that, consider what's involved in a QL version (68008).

David
Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

mk79 wrote:
Silvester wrote:
RalfR wrote:What kind of QLiberator issues are there? Problems with MMU? I had never problems of that kind with an hyperCache 030 on the Atari.
I had a look at SMSQ/E docs but couldn't find any reference to it (it is a config item). Look into it later (probably much).
It probably sets up the MMU to repeat the first 64MB of RAM. QLiberator is known to use one or two of the uppermost bits of addresses in some cases.
I think it was the top 3 bits of the 32-bit address. The TT registers in the 060 should be able to handle that easily even with an EC060 if not the hardware itself by simply not using the top 3 address bits. Of course, this is different as soon as the MMU is in use in the LC or full RC version, since it sees all the address bits internally to the CPU so this has to be handled explicitly.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Nasta wrote:
mk79 wrote:I think it was the top 3 bits of the 32-bit address. The TT registers in the 060 should be able to handle that easily even with an EC060 if not the hardware itself by simply not using the top 3 address bits. Of course, this is different as soon as the MMU is in use in the LC or full RC version, since it sees all the address bits internally to the CPU so this has to be handled explicitly.
Possibly. I've written a note in November 1995 during QPC development "Implemented mirror memory, resulting in less crashes (Minerva) and almost all QLiberator programs finally work now". But when analyzing the QLiberator source code a few years ago I only remember coming across one instance where the sign bit is used ("Q_ERR_ON"), but maybe I've forgotten or they simply improved it in later versions.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

It's all too long ago and I have no personal interest in Qliberator, but I'm 95% sure there is (also) an issue with copyback cache.
The default cache setting of SMSQ/E was reduced to writethrough just for Qliberated software, which of course cripples the Q60.
Selfmodifying code?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Silvester wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Be interested to hear if you have a suitable 68060 CPU available :). Got a few parallel projects going on at moment so whenever you get time to look into your long term storage is OK. I still have a PiStorm waiting to be put into my old Amiga A500, hardware part is straightforward, just got to take time to immerse into software side :?. Then once I'm familiar with that, consider what's involved in a QL version (68008).
HI,

I have a lookat my Q60 spares, the only CPUs I gave are: M68LC060RC66, XC68RC060RC50A

The MC68LC060RC75 which was overclocked to 80Mhz, which I only sold 2 Q60 boards with the 80Mhz CPU. The CPU was very expensive 20 years ago, I do not serm to able to find anything to plug into the Q60 board.

Pity the Vampire for the Amiga only fits into the 68000 or 68020 socket... maybeca little project to port the core to a Q60, but it seems to closed source.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote:It's all too long ago and I have no personal interest in Qliberator, but I'm 95% sure there is (also) an issue with copyback cache.
The default cache setting of SMSQ/E was reduced to writethrough just for Qliberated software, which of course cripples the Q60.
Selfmodifying code?
HI,

Since we have the source code to Qliberator, maybe this limitation can be eliminated.

Regards,

Derek