Help needed :-)

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Re: Help needed :-)

Post by roninfourseven »

I am in a similar position having just returned to QL land after a long hiatus.

This is what I did, up to you what you do entirely:

1. Original QL Yes, this is what I have
2. Minerva ROM I obtained this from Chr$ via eBay Germany, he can probably help with this as he's on this forum
3. Something like GoldCard/Super GoldCard I ordered a Gold Card directly from Tetroid
4. Some kind of mass storage - do I need QBide ? Can I attach a different media as CF, SD, SSD instead of standard noisy HDD ? I got a vDrive QL, but they do work at microdrive speeds, so you might prefer a disk drive. If you're getting a Gold Card then you could use floppies
5. Possibility to use modern monitor - does exist some kind of QL > VGA/HDMI/XXXX adapter ? I use mine on a small HDMI TV via OSSC. Not the cheapest solution but a very nice picture
6. What kind of mouse? I have an ICE Mouse, but not sure what other solutions there might be, QL mice are a bit of a blind spot for me.

Hope you find what you want!

nagual
ROM Dongle

Post by nagual »

Thanks a lot with infos , big help :-)

Cheers!

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

For an original QL, I don't see much sense in Qubide anymore, if you can get hands on a QL-SD. QL-SD is smaller, just as fast, and already includes the EPROM adaptor for Minerva. And media can be hot swapped safely, thanks to a separate voltage regulator on the card socket board.

I think, a decent original QL system these days needs (Super)GoldCard, QL-SD, Qimi and a video converter.

The Q68 is technically much better for less bucks. But while being a dedicated QL-compatible computer, designed with much love, the Q68 can not quite provide the old time feelings of the black box...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

I was looking to make a Q:-SD, as I need another one for myself, but I the QL-SD would be the version designed by Peter Graf, I have not done anything other than draw up the PCB files to produce construction files.

Regards,

Derek