SMSQE in MisTer

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RalfR
Aurora

Re: SMSQE in MisTer

Post by RalfR »

As far as I know, one main difference is the "Thing" system, which is provided in SMS2 via TRAP#1, but not in QDOS via HOT_rext. I do not know, how it is implemented in SMSQ/E. It should be as in SMS2, but I do not think so, which makes me wonder.

Interesting to read, not sure if it is from TT.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

What I meant about synrohising the scheduler, is there is a scheduler on each computer. Are they synced by a task, thing.

I read about Tony's ideas, which in the main were conceptional and ahead of the times Tony wrote them.

But it took someone really talented like Marcel to implement and supercede the concept proposed.

I remember SMSQ/E having many problems on SGC, QXL, Q40, but since the Operating System was closed and only one person was performing the work, progress was slow. Once the source was released much work has been done on SMSQ/E, Which I think is what SMS2 should been.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Tinyfpga wrote:If it is a fast serial communication link then I think a fast pipe coupled dual core Qzero makes a lot of sense.
It is. I might also add some fast dual port RAM as an additional means to exchange data.
Just not sure right now if dualcore is the way to go. Since each CPU needs one separate SDRAM in this simple architecture, it would take away the option of independent video RAM, i.e. video would stay as "slow" as on Q68 (where "slow" still means faster than any QL-style hardware except Q40/Q60.)
Tinyfpga wrote:If this link can be made available for connecting other Qzeros then you will have created something like TT's lego system that he proposed thirty years ago as a post QL system.
There are some highspeed differential links on the lefthand connector which could be used for that purpose, if HDMI is not needed.