Aurora Cases

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Aurora Cases

Post by Pr0f »

If I remember rightly - the Qubide card was setup to run from the last I/O location - as SGC/Aurora combo allowed only 2 addresses - ROM expansion area or that top I/O address which is unused by Aurora VRAM. The latest ROM image (QUBATA) actually copies itself into RAM, but knows where it's I/O base was located - so patches that back in - I presume it can also work from either of these 2 addresses.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Pr0f wrote:If I remember rightly - the Qubide card was setup to run from the last I/O location - as SGC/Aurora combo allowed only 2 addresses - ROM expansion area or that top I/O address which is unused by Aurora VRAM. The latest ROM image (QUBATA) actually copies itself into RAM, but knows where it's I/O base was located - so patches that back in - I presume it can also work from either of these 2 addresses.
Ahah, I shall try later, but that hint may very well have saved me dismantling it :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I used to build QLs inti PC cases, usual with a Qplane or Mplane to connect the QL board with a Super Gold Card and Qubide. When the Aurora appeared the QL board got replaced by the Aurora.

But these PC cases were the standard Beige PC colour. QL Black seemed unobtainable in 1994.

The Q60 was built into a Beige Midi Tower AT Case, supplied by Maplins, which I still have 7 boxed Maplin AT PC Cases and PSUs.

I built a Mplane,SGC,Qubide,Aurora into a Black Suttle case which did fit quite well, except the Shuttle case was a little mod. to the Shuttle case.

The Q60 I have, depicted on the Forum, is fitted into a Black Shuttle case, without the dodgey Shuttle cooling system. Work fine with a small switch to turn on the ATX PSU.

Regards,

Derek