New Sockets For Old

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

New Sockets For Old

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I was replacing a 68008 CPU in a QL and I accidently pulled the top of the CPU socket. I was going to fit a new 48 pin socket.

But 2 things struck me, the new socket is not the same height of the old socket and the new socket is not Red.

Fitting the new socket willl make the height of the CPU the same of as 8301 and the socket is not Red, but this makes it not a tradition QL.

Does this matter?

Turned Pin or non-Turn Pin socket?
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Silvester
Gold Card

Re: New Sockets For Old

Post by Silvester »

Exactly how I bust mine, now matter how much I tried I couldn't put it back together. I just ended up soldering in two strips of turned pin sockets. IIRC Nasta's idea of using two smaller sockets seems better fix.

David
Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

There are 48 pin turned pin sockets and I would recommend those every time you need to replace a socket. Color certainly does not matter, I think the latest issued Samsung made machines had CPU sockets similar to the ULA and IPC sockets.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Pretty all my QLs are Samsung builds and they used two cheap 24-pins sockets to host the CPU.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

mk79 wrote:Pretty all my QLs are Samsung builds and they used two cheap 24-pins sockets to host the CPU.
Exactly what should have been done from the start!