Hermes status

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Hermes status

Post by Pr0f »

so is it ok to post dissassembly (partial) on here now then?

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Pr0f wrote:so is it ok to post dissassembly (partial) on here now then?
I would think yes since Lau was ready to give out the source, when he manages to find it...

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Nasta wrote:
Pr0f wrote:so is it ok to post dissassembly (partial) on here now then?
I would think yes since Lau was ready to give out the source, when he manages to find it...
ok - so this is incomplete - and may have inaccuricies in it - the idea would be to build upon it...
Attachments
hermes_2.zip
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

Assuming Hermes is now GPL, here is the Hermes distribution, with the Hermes v2.2 rom image, only 2K in size.
Hermes22.zip
Hermes Distribtion Disc & ROM
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Here is the Intel Data sheet:
Intel 8749_datasheet.pdf
Intel 8749 Datasheet
(627.85 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Regards,

Derek
mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Could anyone recommend an entry level programmer that could program the 8749?

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The problem with a lot of the entry level programmers is they do not generate the larger voltages required to program some of the older chips - and that is going to be your biggest problem

All I can suggest is check the device list (usually a downloadable text document or pdf) for the programmer that lists the devices supported.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Also - by the time you've spent money out on a programmer and finding a source of unused or windowed chips you can erase, you may as well buy the Hermes with it's printed manual - at just over £20 it's well worth it - although it looks like RWAP have no stock at present.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

mselkin wrote:Could anyone recommend an entry level programmer that could program the 8749?
No, there is none. I linked to a DIY one somewhere here, but that's a quite a lot of work and money, too, of course.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The HiLO systems programmers from a generation or 2 ago can program these chips - but the software doesn't even run on Windows 7 - so you'd need XP or earlier to run them - it seems to run in a VM - as long as your machine can pass through the serial port or USB port and not drop data. Otherwise you may have to go hunting around for an old PC too.

I've used ALL-11P2 from HiLo Systems - that can read / write these chips - but finding a working one is hard now.

You might try here if adventurous :

https://laughtonelectronics.com/oldsite ... mcs48.html

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/in ... h-arduino/

I think this is the one Marcel found:

http://www.mattmillman.com/projects/hve ... er-reader/

Rumours are that one of the Wilhelm programmer boards might be able to program these chips - not confirmed this.

None of the cheaper "universal" Chinese programmers can handle this chip - I have TSOP2005, TSOP48 and the TL866CII and it's XGECU successor.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Silvester

I can confirm from my own experience what has been written below - namely that you'll need a legacy device, such as the Willem LPT-based programmer - and with a suitable IC adapter - to read and (if you have a windowed IC variant) re-programme the 8x49.

It is costly to find these programmers online and you need a host PC with an LPT port and power the programmer with an external 12V PSU. Then you need to find software that will run on your chosen host PC - I was able to run the software I found in Windows 7 - eventually...

All in all, a chore that, unless you actually intend to further develop the Hermes firmware, means its probably wiser to buy from RWAP (when his stock is replenished...)

Good luck!