Hermes status

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Hermes status

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I can programme the Hermes chips on a HiLo Systems All03a connected to a DOS based PC.

I also have an old Willems Programmer 3b PCB, but never tried it.

Regards,

Derek
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

martyn_hill wrote:Hi Silvester
'Twas not I, but mselkin seeking suitable programmer.

On that point (another thing I delved into a while ago), I am going to build my own 8749 programmer working off a QL (equipped with lots of added hardware) in the next week or two. I also reckon it is possible to build an adaptor board for QEP III, which once the code is working OK I may implement. The only thing is it is possible to damage QEP III through bad programming (short programming voltage outputs to ground).

(edit: spelling correction of T'was)

David
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

There is another option, the Eprommer by Jan Bredenbeek, which is publically available, including the source code, at: https://github.com/janbredenbeek/EPROMmer

Just need a PCB layout, I was always going make one, I will do KiCad project for it.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

There is also https://www.kilgus.net/ql/eprommer-ii/. KiCad sources already included. But all must be heavily adapted for the 8749 to work.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

An 8749 adaptor board for QEP III could well work with other QL programmers (if IO and Vprog is similar). Easier than redesigning a new programmer from scratch. I had a close look at QEP III circuit and don't think it would take much to do, TBC.
Last edited by Silvester on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Marcel,
mk79 wrote:There is also https://www.kilgus.net/ql/eprommer-ii/. KiCad sources already included. But all must be heavily adapted for the 8749 to work.
I am sorry I forgot about your Eprom Programmer, I will see if I can make some PCBs.

One minor point, do you not run an ERC check, ther looks to be many error flags, not serious, mainly flagging the not connected pins???

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:One minor point, do you not run an ERC check, ther looks to be many error flags, not serious, mainly flagging the not connected pins???
For my own stuff, yes. But this is a straight Eagle import of a proven design that I offer for free, so probably didn't bother.

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Hi guys:

I found this:

http://www.mattmillman.com/projects/hve ... er-reader/

Would that work?

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Thanks Prof and Derek for uploads.

Here is my take on the original IPC code. I haven't reviewed it yet so be interested to hear if anything doesn't seem correct.
Attachments
ipc_asm.zip
(10.56 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

David
Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Pr0f wrote:ok - so this is incomplete - and may have inaccuricies in it - the idea would be to build upon it...
Just to clarify Hermes is on 8749 but this code says "CPU: Intel 8049 (MCS-48 family)" so is Hermes on the 8049 as well?
Oh! I guess the 80 is ROM and 87 is EEPROM. :oops:
The obvious path for a replacement seems to be the modern 8051 flash units but it might be easier to convert the code to 'C' for an upgrade that could be maintained by anyone.