CPU 68080

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: CPU 68080

Post by vanpeebles »

You can up gun the CPU only so much, then the machine becomes isolated from it's own group. On the Sharp X68000, you hardly see anything for the mega cpu upgrades. All the best stuff is on the base 10mhz or the 16mhz turbos.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

vanpeebles wrote:You can up gun the CPU only so much, then the machine becomes isolated from it's own group. On the Sharp X68000, you hardly see anything for the mega cpu upgrades. All the best stuff is on the base 10mhz or the 16mhz turbos.
So you reckon us QPC2 users are an isolated population?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Depends if you are in lockdown or not :lol:

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Let the emulator wars commence :-D

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

vanpeebles wrote:Depends if you are in lockdown or not :lol:
Nice save, Van P ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

XorA wrote:
Whats that got to do with the price of onions?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

XorA wrote:
Hmmm...

I am going to be at war with myself, I like to use all the emulators...

I have been usng UQLX since it came into existence, along with QPC2, which I paid for a registered copy , even though, I was been dragged through the pages of QL today as a Software Pirate. So much for supporting software writers.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

XorA wrote:
But, the Amiga A1200 has a Vampire addon, that attaches to the 68020 CPU and seems to work quite well.
It doesn't attach to CPU, it attaches to the expansion bus which has a pin to disable internal CPU.
Yes you are correct, which I assumed the onboard CPU was disabled, as there is no co-processing involved.

Which was a question I asked Miracle Systems when the Gold Card appeared, can the 68008 be used as a co-processor, which Stuart say NO. Which was the same for the Super Gold Card.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

XorA wrote:They did at one point announce a "free" license to use just the CPU section with a lower clock speed as a CPU replacement. No idea if anyone has ever taken up this offer or if it still exists.
Long while ago I looked into the offer and had some initial discussions with them. In this case "free" meant "free of charge", not "free" as in popular license definitions. The business model is to get payment for higher speed.
For me the risk was too high, both in terms of my time and in terms of costs I suspected for adaption and debugging.

Today, the fastest piece of QL compatible hardware, which has a half-realistic chance to get software support and be released, is still 68xx060 based.
I went some steps toward it, but do not currently have enough motivation. The speed gains over the two decades old Q60 would be only moderate, PC emulators would massively outperform it.
The remaining motivations would be modernized video, peripherals and maybe compact size - not overwhelming. And it's not that my related knowhow is still in my head like I designed the Q60 yesterday...

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Which was a question I asked Miracle Systems when the Gold Card appeared, can the 68008 be used as a co-processor, which Stuart say NO. Which was the same for the Super Gold Card.
Should I release a CPU upgrade for the QL someday, it would likely use the 68008 as coprocessor, rather than disabling it.