VDrive connection on either side?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

VDrive connection on either side?

Post by mselkin »

Hi all,

When connecting the vDrive, the connection should be from the left of the vDrive to the right side of the QL, however, I have seen youtube videos where people have placed the vDrive on top of the QL and used a short jumper cable from the vDrive's right connector to the QL below.

Does that work? Can the vDrive be connected from either side? I thought the vDrive's right side was for adding other microdrives in a chain?

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: VDrive connection on either side?

Post by bwinkel67 »

mselkin wrote:Hi all,

When connecting the vDrive, the connection should be from the left of the vDrive to the right side of the QL, however, I have seen youtube videos where people have placed the vDrive on top of the QL and used a short jumper cable from the vDrive's right connector to the QL below.

Does that work? Can the vDrive be connected from either side? I thought the vDrive's right side was for adding other microdrives in a chain?
I have mine sitting on top of the QL. It is in a self-designed case with switchable top/bottom lids and sits upside down from its normal position (you can switch the position of the lids and have it sit next to the QL as well). Note that the case also required a mod to the vDrive to reduce its thickness by removing the extra high daughter board connector on the main board and uses a regular height one. The STL files for the case are available and the vDrive mod is both simple and reversible (just stack an extra 6 pin header connectors between the main board and daughter board and you get back the original vDrive to mount into existing cases).

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Thank you. Where could I find the STL files?

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

mselkin wrote:Thank you. Where could I find the STL files?
Here is the zip file:

download/file.php?id=2845

...and here is the forum thread where I talk about the mod and post the above link:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3100

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Thank you very much! I'm going to print that.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Cool...please post a picture here once you get it all assembled...

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Will do, It will be a while though. I have a lot to do to get my QL up and running. Waiting for vMAP, vDRIVE to arrive and have to order black PLA to print :)