Video: Sinclair QL Upgrades (PSU and vDrive mostly)

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: Video: Sinclair QL Upgrades (PSU and vDrive mostly)

Post by Cristian »

NormanDunbar wrote: Scotty was actually Irish! Well, the actor was.
Mmmm... are you really sure?
NormanDunbar wrote: Mind you, in Highlander, the Scotsman was French and the Spaniard Scottish!
:o :)

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

bwinkel67 wrote:BTW, TF Services also made a battery backed clock board that plugged in with the Hermes. The design is simple enough you could probably use PCBWaaaaaaaaaay to create the board. Looks like a couple of resistors, capacitors and one diode (I can try and get the values if you need them).
The clock is part of the ZX8302, I'd keep that board away from Hermes if I were you ;)

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

mk79 wrote:
bwinkel67 wrote:BTW, TF Services also made a battery backed clock board that plugged in with the Hermes. The design is simple enough you could probably use PCBWaaaaaaaaaay to create the board. Looks like a couple of resistors, capacitors and one diode (I can try and get the values if you need them).
The clock is part of the ZX8302, I'd keep that board away from Hermes if I were you ;)
I must have misremembered where I placed it. Can't find any documentation for it and I had it packed away with my Hermes documentation. It doesn't even show its orientation in the socket. I should search again for anything that came with it.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Pin 1 is near the plus-symbol. Pin 40 is the battery connection, which is why there is only a hole instead of a connection to the QL board.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

mk79 wrote:Pin 1 is near the plus-symbol. Pin 40 is the battery connection, which is why there is only a hole instead of a connection to the QL board.
Thank you. Do you know who made my particular board. I'm doubting now it was TF Services.

BTW, would the 3v have hurt the Hermes? I ask because my digital multimeter's resistance test at low ohms puts out 3v. An older analog multimeter puts out only 1.5v

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

mk79 wrote:Pin 1 is near the plus-symbol. Pin 40 is the battery connection, which is why there is only a hole instead of a connection to the QL board.
So I tracked down the board. It was made by Mechanical Affinity, a US company. It uses 3v CR2025/32 lithium button batteries.

Urs speaks to it in his video (starts at 30:50 and the board appears at 32:40).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91oa-7s0f38

And then here it is online:

https://www.timexsinclair.com/product/i ... ck-for-ql/

And on that website it states that it plugs in to 8049 socket, and 8049 is installed in it and is reaffirmed by the actual advert by the company here:

https://archive.org/details/ts-2068-upd ... ew=theater

So I guess that's why I stuck it with the Hermes documentation.

The one oddity is in how it will fit since the keyboard cable is right there and the battery part goes about 9 pins deep and the connector runs right next to it from pins 6 and 7. There is about 1/8" clearance but that still will force the ribbon cable to sort of bend a bit extreme. I wonder if it would work in the ZX8302 socket as well...besides pin 1 and 40, seems to be using pins 11 and 20 of the 8049 as well.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Well, amazing, but the advert is wrong. :-o This can never work with the 8049. Urs says it correctly in the video.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Cristian wrote:
Of course I'm sure, he was born in Vancouver, Canada, to Irish immigrant parents from Bangor. (Not that Bangor Dilwyn! ;)) -- that makes him Irish, doesn't it? Or maybe Canadian. ;)

My mistake, I was told that he was Irish years ago, and with a name like Doohan, what else could he be? That'll teach me. I'll never trust anyone again.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Cristian wrote:
NormanDunbar wrote: Mind you, in Highlander, the Scotsman was French and the Spaniard Scottish!
:o :)
James Doohan was Canadian (original Star Strek)
Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the newer Star Trek series, is English.
Both according to Wikipedia anyway.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Thanks Noel for your video,
For your videos I decided to sink into the QL sea :)

So... what happened with the 7805 replacement? Did you got your money back?
Hope to see soon a video from yours changing an internal mDrive for a Gotek or zxmmc or similar that accept mSD :)
Would be ... magic!