Sinclair QL Factory Test Jig

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Sinclair QL Factory Test Jig

Post by Chr$ »

Thanks, good to know.

While I'm here (and didn't want to add too many pics to the post a few above) here are some pics of the dongle that is part of the test jig. It is my first dongle and they are much chunkier and a lot higher than I was expecting. Apart from the colour, the vacuum formed style is quite reminiscent of the early ZX80 cases.
20210304_172723.jpg
20210304_172809.jpg
20210304_172622.jpg
20210304_172936.jpg
20210304_172542.jpg

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

It reminds me of the electric hair trimmers you get in the barber shop ;-)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Pr0f wrote:It reminds me of the electric hair trimmers you get in the barber shop ;-)
:D :D :D

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Did you ever get a keytop ?

I have one if you need it. I was going to try and sell it on ebay as a unicorn's tooth for £99 :lol: , but you can have it for postage.
Attachments
KEYCAP.JPG

David
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Silvester wrote:Did you ever get a keytop ?

I have one if you need it. I was going to try and sell it on ebay as a unicorn's tooth for £99 :lol: , but you can have it for postage.
No way! No, I didn't find one as it's a difficult thing to search for. I hoped I'd end up with one (e.g. on a ZX81) or see one at some point but wasn't in a hurry.

I'll absolutely take that. I have one missing complete button with clear top and am also missing 2 clear tops, but that's ok, I can just remove the tops from the others and then it will look right (and keep them safe of course).

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Yes, weird coincidence :o

I've got a Maplin ZX81 keyboard, custom Elektor SC/MP clone, and QL analogue joystick interface all using the same buttons.

I had one keyswitch and keytop left over, but used the keyswtich to replace the overused ENTER key on my Schon PC keyboard (I'll post pic later *), so I have no use for it (think it has been in the drawer since 1988!).

PM your address and I'll pop it the post.

Edit: * ugh, too many screws to undo to get a decent photo, so I'll have to baulk at that.
Last edited by Silvester on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Silvester wrote:Yes, weird coincidence :o

I've got a Maplin ZX81 keyboard, custom Elektor SC/MP clone, and QL analogue joystick interface all using the same buttons.

I had one keyswitch and keytop left over, but used the keyswtich to replace the overused ENTER key on my Schon PC keyboard (I'll post pic later), so I have no use for it (think it has been in the drawer since 1988!).

Have pm'd you. This looks to have the same keys too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZX-81-Extern ... 3987696052

But I don't need that many and it's always a shame to break something up when it's probably not broken. So very much looking forward to your spare.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Silvester wrote:
I just wondered if you'd sent the button top? Not nagging if you haven't sent it. Post can take longer at the moment.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Silvester wrote: PM your address and I'll pop it the post.
Ignore the above, button came today! PM me when you see this, I need to send you some money.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Chr$ wrote:
Silvester wrote: PM your address and I'll pop it the post.
Ignore the above, button came today! PM me when you see this, I need to send you some money.
Wow, that took a while. It was posted on 29th March - two weeks and a day - I've had stuff quicker from China recently. It must be Covid, Brexit, or both.

It wouldn't pass through the 0.5cm gauge so it went as Int. Std. Large Letter (apparently EU are now being unduly strict).

I need to do some MDV pads sometime so be interested in some suitable felt (cut up old cassette pads didn't prove too reliable), I'll PM you later.

David