QIMI interface repair

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

QIMI interface repair

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Hi,

I am trying to repair a pretty beaten up QIMI interface. Some of the soldering is very ugly with solder bridges (intentional ???) missing pins etc.

Before plugin it, I want to make sure everything is as it should be... Does anybody have a good hires picture of the top and, more importantly, the bottom of the board ? There is a picture in the wiki but it is very low res. There is also a schematic on Dilwyn’s hardware page that will probably comes handy.

Thank you.
François

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QIMI interface repair

Post by Chr$ »

If no one has one already out of a QL system I could probably remove mine tomorrow and do pics. The whole system is in a custom XT case. Two birds with one stone - I do keep meaning to fit a QubIDE and IDE harddrive (the MFM one died).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

There's (allegedly) some photos of a QIMI pcb (both sides) in this document, not checked it to see what the quality is like though. http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/hardware/ql-platinen.pdf

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I don't know if the QJump and Quanta versions of QIMI had the same PCB layout - the QJump ones have the name QJump on the PCB, but I don't know about the Quanta ones.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

I've got a blank PCB, too. Plus two apparently broken ones, but didn't have the time to investigate them. Never possessed one working QIMI...
QIMI side 1.jpg
QIMI side 2.jpg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have 3 QIMI interfaces with pinsonthe ROM and 8302 socket connection broken, the broken pin is required to be removed a new pin inserted into the socket frame. The trick is not to damge the socket frame, PCB through plating or PCB tracks.

Most of the QIMI interfaces have the mouse cable missing or wires broken from the soldered in point, what a ridiculous way of connecting a cable to the PCB, there must of been a socket arrangement. But it looks like most things from QJump were cast in stone and were not open for change, like their badly written manuals.

All the QIMI interfaces do not have a battery, still thinking about the battery connection. Maybe a socket connection to an off board battery holder.

Regards,

Derek
FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Thank you Marcel and Dilwyn for the PCB pictures, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Chr$, if you ever open your Goldcard QL box, I would also be interested to have pictures of the populated board. For example my QIMI is missing the pin that goes into the top right ZX8302 socket hole. I have serious doubts it was designed that way... unless pin#40 of the zx8302 serves no purpose.

François

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

if memory serves me - pin 40 was the battery feed to the ZX8302 clock. That pin on the QL is just connected to 5v - so probably not present, so that the battery can power the RTC.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I checked my 5 QIMI interfaces, one had pin 40 on the 8302 connection with no pin and tspe over it.

I will have check if this works.

If you want to look at a QIMI Refit, on the German QL Forum:

https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/view ... f=9&t=1109

There is a description of the circuit diagram and Eagle Cad design files. It is in German, I use Google Chrome to the web pages, which translates to English automatically.

Maybe more PCBs could be made if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Actually one of my QIMI seems to work. Yay! Not the best solder work that I've ever seen but good enough apparently.
QIMI populated tops.jpg
QIMI populated bottom1s.jpg
QIMI populated bottom2s.jpg
Pin 40 of the ZX socket is cut under the board