Ethernet for the QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Ethernet for the QL

Post by Peter »

Pr0f wrote:But smtp / ftp and text browser should be possible, and some functionality similar to QL net (opening a disk drive on another QL over TCP/IP)
I have working PE email software with POP3/SMTP, HTTP server, HTTP textbrowser and more. Problem is there are almost no mailservers without encryption requirement anymore.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:I have not yet measured exactly how far down the ethernet socket needs to be, but when I know and add the through connector I will shorten the board as much as possible.
I have been thinking about board dimensions again. The main electrical use for the through-connected bus is the (S)GC. But would I actually use my (S)GC protruding 15 cm or more out of the QL? Not when I imagine it seriously.

The EPROM has no forseeable use, so why not make the the board as small as possible, and accept that the network cable must be plugged in before inserting the card? Flat ethernet cables and short ethernet male-to-female cables exist. While this is not ideal, it allows decent use of (S)GC at least. The QL has a long tradition of cables connected inside the case...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I only have one small objection, and that is not being able to see the LINK and ACT LEDs as a diagnostic tool. It's not something I am hung up on.

As for Gold anything sticking out the side of your QL, well.... 70-something-% of the board area is free. The height of the (S)GC RAM is too high to stack it over another board. I'm laying this out as a functional prototype with a paste-able ethernet and memory block, so they can be quickly and easily moved and re-oriented. The original thought was to have the jack on aboard that fits in behind expansion cards and makes a new hole beside the ROM port, but unfortunately that would be out of spec because the jack contains integrated magnetics, and the distance requirement from the IC is quite strict. So for prototyping I will make it a large board, and for those that want a small board they can have it very easily once everything's confirmed working.

In either case, a nice matching ABS printed cover would be available for those looking to secure/protect their (S)GC. One idea is to use a short single ended ethernet cable to the socket, and the other end going to a CAT5 keystone molded into the case.
CAT5/6 keystone in black...
CAT5/6 keystone in black...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1039

Looking at it, the expansion could be as short as ~55mm including everything. That would add 43mm to the length of a thru-card.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:I only have one small objection, and that is not being able to see the LINK and ACT LEDs as a diagnostic tool.
The switch or hub on the other end of the cable provides those LEDs anyway.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I've made really solid progress (and maintained unusual focus) so I'll be ordering these PCBs this weekend and should have them by next weekend.

With all the debate about the card's format, I'd like to just run an idea by the group as a sanity check.

If we take it as read that there will be a TINY internal version, as short as it can be.

For the longer version that has the ethernet port external to the case, how would people feel if I put a 2 or 3 way backplane on the end of it? It could come with a little enclosure to nicely protect the cards from dust and make them match the QL case beautifully. It could also have a little micro-USB power socket, and any 1 or 2 amp USB charger could power the expansions at 5V?

Would that be cool?

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Unrepresentative, personal taste: I wouldn't use the long card at all, unless I have to.

A medium sized card without through connector that just has the ethernet on the back and RAM would be better for me than that.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The tiny version will be everything you wish for. The larger version will be what some others wish for.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote:The tiny version will be everything you wish for. The larger version will be what some others wish for.
Does it fit inside the QL case?

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Dave wrote:The tiny version will be everything you wish for. The larger version will be what some others wish for.
Does it fit inside the QL case?
Small version: Yes, entirely, and the through connector will push other cards out by about 43mm.

Long version: The ethernet jack is external, and through connector will be positioned so a backplane plugged into it would just clear the case. One of Tetroid's backplanes will work, or I can provide a backplane with enclosure.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I would prefer an internal connection.

Regards,

Derek