QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Postby vanpeebles » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:07 pm

martyn_hill wrote:Hi!

XorA wrote:I have vanpeebles bugging me to support this in sQLux, is there a guide of what needs done?

Yes, he's a bit like that, isn't he :-)

I saw that!! :lol:

martyn_hill
Super Gold Card

Postby martyn_hill » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 pm

Hi Chr$!

Chr$ wrote:What equivalent PNP bi-polar high-speed switching transistor is suitable instead of a ZTX-510? I'm a noob looking at datasheets and none of the PNP transistors I can find are quite the same. ZTX-510 seems to be a tricky one to find.

I typically use an online resource such as the following to find substitute transistors:
https://alltransistors.com/crsearch.php ... caps=TO226

In this application, a lower 'transition frequency' would suffice, as long as the maximum voltage and power dissipation specs are as good or higher than the 510. The ZTX-550 for example.

The gain (hfe) of any substitute is equally non-critical here as we're driving the transistor in its saturated mode and not trying to drive a lot of current - the NET is only expected to source around 24mA, and with the 47ohm current limiting series resistor, even a short (e.g. if you insert or remove the Jack plug while the line is being driven) would still only require the transistor to source a little over 100mA of (collector) current in to Gnd.

In short, the criteria for any substitute is pretty loose...

All that said, I didn't have too much trouble sourcing the ZTX-510 itself when I last tried, but that was a few months ago...

martyn_hill
Super Gold Card

Postby martyn_hill » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm

vanpeebles wrote:I saw that!! :lol:

Couldn't resist - sorry, Pete :-)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Postby vanpeebles » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:57 pm

Hehe, I can see real potential in some kind of mini file server as a means of providing base QL users a way to run files without having floppy drives etc. I’m currently thinning out my QL collection to equip my friends with QLs for the first time, but straight away I run into the usual problem of expansions etc. Floppies are long in the tooth now for people who don’t have any.

RalfR
Super Gold Card

Postby RalfR » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:59 pm

ZTX-510 is discontinued from "Diodes Incorporated".
ztx510-1165219.pdf
(75.04 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:09 pm

Chr$ wrote:What equivalent PNP bi-polar high-speed switching transistor is suitable instead of a ZTX-510? I'm a noob looking at datasheets and none of the PNP transistors I can find are quite the same. ZTX-510 seems to be a tricky one to find.

It is not necessary to use a bipolar transistor. If I had to design a board for Martyn, I would use a suitable P-channel MOSFET like the IRLML2244TRPBF and abandon the 1K, 3.9K and 10 K resistors altogther. If it has to be a TO-92 case, the less efficient TP0606 MOSFET should also do that job.

Edit: To be precise, at least the 1K resistor must be removed when using a MOSFET, and left open. Also removing the 3.9K and 10K resitors is optional, those would be replaced by a wire connection.
Last edited by Peter on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chr$
Super Gold Card

Postby Chr$ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 pm

Thanks Martyn/Peter.

I nabbed 3x Teensy++ 2.0 quite cheaply from a seller in Spain (for his last one he put the price up massively - or an algorithm did).

And I've just been able to work out how to program it and after a bit of trial and error yesterday and this evening, that all seems to have gone fine. Quite chuffed about that. Now to making the circuit.

Collector of QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't really understand how they work.
Original QL's: many (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 140+ original software titles)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
QXLII card installed in a PC
Q40 and Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
Pr0f
Super Gold Card

Postby Pr0f » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:14 am

BC559 works on a standard QL, I suspect any good PNP switching transistor - the frequencies are not huge, nor are the currents - you want to find low VCE saturation numbers, good HFE (DC gain) in the spec sheet of any candidate for replacement.

martyn_hill
Super Gold Card

Postby martyn_hill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:10 am

Hi again everyone!

For those of you preparing to build the QLUB Adapter, a heads-up :-)

After some troubleshooting Danielle's build, we discovered that the timing of the network packets sent by the microcontroller was all screwed.

We eliminated a number of possible causes - his hardware build was fine and we couldn't initially find anything different between (my) working adapter and his non-working unit.

Until, that is, we compared versions of the Arduino IDE and the 'Teensyduino' libraries - both of which have long since revved in versions since I downloaded them back in 2017...

Seems that something in either the compiler tool-chain or the later Teensyduino libraries has changed and the current QLUB firmware (v2.1f) will need revision to accommodate those changes. I had already in mind a rewrite of the firmware and will do so against the latest available IDE/Teensyduino libraries - but not for a couple of weekends.

In the meantime, should you wish to proceed with your QLUB build, you have two options:

a) Find and download the legacy Arduino IDE v1.8.0 (still available from Arduino) AND the legacy Teensyduino installer v1.35 - which I couldn't find online, but I have a copy on my harddrive... You can then just use the existing firmware source and compile/flash the Teensy board as per the instructions. OR...

b) I have the raw HEX code of the firmware as compiled with the older tool-chain which you can directly flash to the Teensy. Read-up the Arduino docs for how to directly flash with the HEX code - its pretty straightforward :-)

I'm not sure whether I can post the legacy Teensyduino Installer here, so perhaps option b) is best. With that in mind, I attach the raw HEX matching version v2.1f of the firmware.

QLAN-USB_v21f.ino_IDE180_TDv135.zip
(15.45 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Thanks to Danielle for both being the first early-adopter and also for sparing me 2 hours of his precious weekend to troubleshoot together!

Happy Monday :-)

M68008
Over Heated PSU

Postby M68008 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 am

martyn_hill wrote:b) I have the raw HEX code of the firmware as compiled with the older tool-chain which you can directly flash to the Teensy.

Thank you Martyn, the adapter started working well after I uploaded this version of the firmware!

There was a change in the Teensyduino library which might be the cause of the different timings, I sent you a PM with the details.

After a SBASIC->SuperBASIC conversion of the emulator-side file-transfer program, it also runs on a Sinclair ROM in Q-emuLator.