QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Post by Peter »

Wonderful documentation!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Peter wrote:Wonderful documentation!
Thanks Peter!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Norman!

I forgot to acknowledge your kind feedback on the "Networking the QL" article - thank you!
NormanDunbar wrote:A most enlightening read. I've never used the QL network at all -- other than to test if WinBack could backup over the network. (It could!), I wasn't too clued up on the workings of it. I found the depth of information supplied to be most excellent.
As much as a 'brain-dump' of what I've learned over time about this aspect of our humble machine, my intent in developing this series of articles was very much to encourage QL'ers to explore the networking capabilities who may have been put off previously due to difficulties and lack of detailed documentation at the time. So your comments are especially encouraging to me and a prompt to complete the second article that is sitting on my desktop waiting for attention...

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Martyn_Hill wrote:Hi Norman!
I forgot to acknowledge your kind feedback on the "Networking the QL" article - thank you!
You are very welcome. As someone who occasionally writes stuff myself, I know what it's like when feedback is strangely absent! :(

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi Martyn,

thanks for the update and the great documentation.

Yesterday evening I gave the Firmware v22a a quick try. Using QPC 2 under Win 10 everything is fine.
Under Linux neither uQLx nor QPC under Wine works. Initialization of the QLUB adapter fails. Error message: " Bridge failed to ACKnowledge RESET cmd.

Best regards,

Stephan

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hey Stephan!

Thanks for testing the new versions of firmware and SendFileMQ :-)

OK, so a couple of questions regarding your Unix/Wine tests:

a) Did you use the latest SendFileMQ? Previous versions (v1.4..1.7) will NOT work with the latest firmware as I have adjusted the format of each command 'message' (now 16 bytes instead of 14) and you will need SendFileMQ v2.2 to successfully communicate with the updated firmware.
b) Did you review any changes you may have needed to make last time for the Unix version - such as the BAUD command and virtualCOMPort% setting? I attempted to code this in SendFileMQ v2.2 to automatically adjust, but may have got the logic wrong.

M.

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hey Martyn,

quick answers:

a) Did you use the latest SendFileMQ? Previous [...] and you will need SendFileMQ v2.2

yes, I used latest Version of SendFileMQ v2.2

b) d you review any changes [..] BAUD command and virtualCOMPort% setting?

yes and yes, Baud rate and virtualCOMPort% are set correctly.

We may have a short call next week in the evening if you want to look inside this.

Stephan

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Stephan!

OK, yes, I'm up for a Zoom call either Sunday or Thursday evenings - I'll PM you...

M.

gbejniet
ROM Dongle

Post by gbejniet »

Just confirming that with the new firmware flashed from .hex (and tweaking my Python version of sendfilemq appropriately), I am now looking at a perfect blue screen. :) Huge thanks Martyn!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi gbejniet!

Great news - thanks for sharing,

Out of interest, is this still the AH-ROM based QL you are testing with and did you select 'QL' or 'ZX' as the 'peer-type'? (The choice of peer-type now directly influences the timing-constants used by the QLUB - no longer the file-header handling with is dealt with independently.)

Also, did you try the QLUB with new firmware with your Spectrum yet?

[EDIT: Just to clarify - with the latest firmware and all future versions, it is no longer neccessary - nor appropriate - to install and use the legacy Arduino/TeensyDuino tools or revert to being restricted to flashing the raw .HEX file when using the latest available tool-chain. Instead, the latest tools can be used to compile the source INO, thus facilitating your own customisation before flashing the QLUB. Equally, you can use the latest Arduino/TeensyDuino tools to flash the provided .HEX if you're not interested in playing with the source code. :-)]