QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I posed this question in 2015 on Sinclairzxworld:

https://www.sinclairzxworld.com/viewtop ... bb1#p17585

I was asked to update a ZX Interface 1 ROM from v1 to v2. But there was a problem replacing the TMS4764 with an eprom to hold the updated rom code. I thought maybe a TMS2564 would do, but there are some extra pins that woukd be "hanging" out of a socket.

The next problem was the installation of a socket into the Interface 1 PCB and the eprom could not be accommodated on the board due the Expansion connector going to the Spectrum,

I was going to ream out the rom pin holes to fit socket pins into the PCB, so that a eprom could be fitted, but the extra 4 pins caused problems.

I got side tracked onto other QL based things and did not do more on this.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

That thread on Sinclair ZX world was very helpful Derek (I posted there recently about how I had to 'trick' my QEPII Eprom programmer into reading an original IF1 ROM), but I think the ROM-el must be the way to go now.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Morning Chr$
Chr$ wrote:I have read in this thread that the standard IF1 ROM v2 version seems to work well with the QLUB, but out of interest, do you have any better/fixed/tarted up ROM code versions for the IF1? If I were to fit a ROM-el I'd want to pack it was as many suitable ROMs as possible ;)
My favourite Int-1 replacement is Ian Collier's 'IMC' image, which I have taken and modified quite substantially with some refinements to the Network code, as well as an improved Error-handling routine. Mr Collier's replacement image can fit in either the original 8KB, or also include an additional 8KB of extension commands (the Int-1 actually maps actually all 16KB when switched-in.)

I can PM you with further details...

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi all,

brief update from my side to the QLUB: Due to great support from Martyn the QLUB is also running with the following systems:

- Ubuntu 18.04 (32bit) with uQLx QL emulator

- On Raspberry pi 3b (quite old but the only one I have) and the latest Raspbian for this model. Also running uQLx QL emulator

Both solutions need a modified Firmware for the Teensy board. Kindly contact Martyn if you want to try as well.

Best regards,

Stephan

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

I had some of Marcel's boards made up. £1 each (PCB only!) if anyone needs one or more.

I have also populated one. To save you having to follow the traces...

R1 = 330 ohms
R2 = 330 ohms
R3 = 10k ohms
R4 = 47 ohms
R5 = 3.9k ohms
R6 = 1k ohms

The 3.5mm sockets I had laying around didn't fit, so I had to bodge them a bit and the whole thing won't fit in the 3D case now, but that's ok.

I wondered though (probably an obvious answer), can the Tennsy ++2.0 be re-programmed while it's in the board? Just in case it can't and for easier removal I have only soldered the 4 pins that are actually required.
Attachments
QLUB Boards.jpg

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Chris!
Chr$ wrote:I had some of Marcel's boards made up. £1 each (PCB only!) if anyone needs one or more.
Very nice indeed :-)

And thanks again to Marcel for his next PCB design!
Chr$ wrote:I wondered though (probably an obvious answer), can the Tennsy ++2.0 be re-programmed while it's in the board? Just in case it can't and for easier removal I have only soldered the 4 pins that are actually required.
Absolutely - just make sure that the COM port used by the adapter isn't currently 'locked' by your QL emulator at the time you attempt to flash an updated image using the Arduino/TeensyDuino IDE - you can even leave the emulator running, as long as the SER channel is closed. I regularly re-flash updated versions whilst testing, switching between the running emulator and the IDE repeatedly within the same session.

Good luck!

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Thanks Martyn. And thanks Stephan for the email and even telephone support yesterday.

I'm nearly a member of the QLUB! So far I've been able to send a file from a QL (using various ROM versions inc MGG, JS and Minerva 1.98) to QPC and to Qemulator. I've also sent files from Q68 to Qemulator. That all works fine and at least probably indicates that the QLUB device is working.

So far though, I have been unable to send a file to the original QL. With Minerva 1.98 (without the a1) LBYTES hung the computer, no doubt due to the i/o bug that was fixed by Marcel. The only reason I'm not using 1.98a1 is that 1.98 came on the Tetroid ROM changer than is installed and I don't want to open the QL just yet.

I have attempted to send a 32k screen capture file to QL (A German one with TK2.23, not sure on the exact m/b type) from both QPC and Qemulator. I go through:

Run SendMyFile which blinks the Teensy light and all looks good.
I leave the remote station as 1 (also did a NET 1 on the QL for good measure).
Type/file type both left as 'Q'.
Chose Send and enter a path/file.

On the real QL I have already done a 'TK2_EXT'.
I enter LBYTES 'neti_2',131072 *
And just gets stuck on Tx Blk# 0/128.

* The emulator QL is set to NET 2 via the settings in the SendMyFile prog.

Anything glaringly wrong there? I may dig out another QL to try it with, just in case.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Chris

Glad you're persevering with the QLUB!

If the Minerva 1.98 (serio) I/O bug is to blame for this behaviour, then you can expect the QL itself to hang as you report. I'm 99% sure that that is the issue you are seeing.

To fully validate this, you could simply try a method other than LBYTES to receive the file. It's been some time since I researched the serio bug that MK fixed and can't recall whether or not a simple COPY 'neti_2' TO '<local_drive>' will also trip-up due to the bug, but you could try the following assuming you have the Turbo TK loaded on the receiving QL, which won't fall-foul of the bug:

Code: Select all

ch%=FOPEN('neti_2')
hdr$=INPUT$(#ch%, 15)
FOR nextLine%=0 TO 255: line$=INPUT$(#ch%, 128): POKE$ 131072+nextLine%*128, line$
CLOSE #ch%
If that (or the simpler COPY approach) works, then you know for sure that the serio bug is to blame and can simply update the Minerva ROM to MK's patched version when you're ready to.

Happy networking!
M.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

COPY_N might work. The reading of the header is the problem IIRC.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

martyn_hill wrote:

Code: Select all

ch%=FOPEN('neti_2')
hdr$=INPUT$(#ch%, 15)
FOR nextLine%=0 TO 255: line$=INPUT$(#ch%, 128): POKE$ 131072+nextLine%*128, line$
CLOSE #ch%
I tried that. It worked fine sending a scr from the Q68 and then using that routine to receive on the real QL (with either Minerva or JS).

COPY_N also worked Q68>QL but the resulting screen file saved on the QL wasn't quite right, I suspect that's to be expected without its header.

But still I find that nothing I try will allow me to transfer a file from QPC/Qemulator through QLUB to the real QL.

Could it be something installed on my PC? Would an aggressive virus protection prevent USB/Serial data?

I thought I'd give it a go on a Win XP machine, but that doesn't recognise/install the USB/Serial device. I assume XP is too ancient to be supported?