QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Silvester
Gold Card

Re: QLUB Adapter - Initial Release...

Post by Silvester »

Just got my Teensy today (in fact two, from different sources). Bit concerned initially that the chip was AT90USB1287 (not the 1286), but only difference I can see from datasheet is the 1287 has added ability to do USB Host (OTG), but usurps port E bit 7 for UVCON to do it.

Perhaps the thought they were getting scarce was a little premature, a lot of clones (using 1287) are available on AliExpress.

David
xtof-cfx
ROM Dongle

Post by xtof-cfx »

I just want to share my experiences with the QLUB as a means to get my BB QL going (....further).

Stock issue 5 QL, JM ROMS replaced by Minerva and TK2.
Software package QLUB General Release v2.2a.zip from martyn_hill from this thread.
QLUB Hardware was a kit from Chr$. Teensyduino sw.
Emulator sQLux running on a headless linux system using xpra to display the emulator screen in a web browser. I am not a fan of emulation but this works very well.
I downloaded all the supporting code from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/ except the 32 bit ops these came from the forum here.

After ironing out my own stupid mistakes, this works like a charm. No hiccups whatsoever. I transferred chess back and forth 10 times without a problem.

Great work from the QLUB author and very useful to bootstrap, or even use (since unzip is too big) if you are barebones... can t go wrong for 30-40 EUR.

br Xtof

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Thank you for your feedback XtoF!

Yet another platform combination that seems to work with the QLUB :-)

In our PM exchange, you made a valid point about developing the solution to run independently of a PC-based emulator. The topic has come up before and one of our friends here has developed a Python-based equivalent of the SendFileMQ SBasic programme that runs outside the emulator.

You also mentioned the usefulness of a file-server solution - again running outside of an emulator.

Whilst I do not believe that attempting to mimic FSERVE outside of QDOS/SMSQe is a particularly viable option (I could explain why if interested), development of a an FTP-like solution to allow easier browsing and download of files by a native QL from a repository hosted and shared-out via the QLUB without QDOS emulation is certainly doable - in fact I developed a solution for sharing files from a QL to a Spectrum that implements a simple FTP-like mechanism. If there is enough interest and - once I've completed the remaining work on the native QDOS NET/MQ drivers - I would be happy to continue to develop that solution and share here, for someone to then cross-port it to another non-QDOS environment.

Warm regards,
Martyn.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martyn,

I have 5 QLUB PCBs to make up, I will get someone to 3D Print Marcels STL files and see if anyone wants to buy 4 of them...

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Derek,

I'd be interested if an assembed one is going spare.

If so, please let me know the cost.

Thanks!

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

I'll take one assembled :-) Because my own project to build one has seen not a single part get put together :-D

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I was not looking for orders to build the QLUB, only stating I have some PCBs, waiting to be populated.

However, I will get a BOM updated with prices.

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi Derek, my apologies - I clearly misread your post.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I only suggested probably 4 would be available, but I do not have any costings on the parts.

I will get a detailed Bill Of Materials.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Just noticed the Teensy 2.0++ is discontinued.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.