Target for major new QL hardware

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

What is your preferred target for major new QL hardware?

Standalone machine (Q60/Q68 philosophy)
30%
QL extension slot plugin (GoldCard philosophy + graphics)
22%
QL mainboard replacement (Aurora philosophy + CPU/RAM)
29%
Miniaturized module for tinkering (Qzero philosophy*)
18%

Total votes: 76

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Target for major new QL hardware

Post by bwinkel67 »

mhanias wrote:What about a MINI QL like the Mini C64 ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koch-Films-Gmb ... B0764BK6L1
Well, that's just a box in the shape of a C64 running an emulator. So that would be a bit disappointing.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

I have voted for the "QL extension slot plugin" and "QL mainboard replacement" options, but ..., could there be an option that combines these two? (In the style of "Turbo Chameleon 64" (https://www.vesalia.de/e_chameleon.htm)) A board that can operate as a "stand-alone" unit and that can also operate as a QL expansion board.

Perhaps an evolution of the Q68 board, but one that can replace the QL motherboard and that can be an extension of the original QL motherboard (chameleon type).

(I am not an expert in hardware and and I don't know if this is acceptable).

Regards.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:I have voted for the "QL extension slot plugin" and "QL mainboard replacement" options, but ..., could there be an option that combines these two? (In the style of "Turbo Chameleon 64" (https://www.vesalia.de/e_chameleon.htm)) A board that can operate as a "stand-alone" unit and that can also operate as a QL expansion board.

Perhaps an evolution of the Q68 board, but one that can replace the QL motherboard and that can be an extension of the original QL motherboard (chameleon type).
Something that can be both "extension slot plugin" and "standalone" might be feasible, but hardly also "QL mainboard replacement" as a three in one package. The QL case openings require connector locations which are badly suitable for a card that is also slot plugin. (And I would not consider something that requires mechanical work on the QL case a "mainboard replacement")

It seems the "Turbo Chameleon 64" had a similar issue. Just "extension slot plugin" or "standalone", but not "mainboard replacement".

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote:Something that can be both "extension slot plugin" and "standalone" might be feasible, but hardly also "QL mainboard replacement" as a three in one package. The QL case openings require connector locations which are badly suitable for a card that is also slot plugin. (And I would not consider something that requires mechanical work on the QL case a "mainboard replacement")

It seems the "Turbo Chameleon 64" had a similar issue. Just "extension slot plugin" or "standalone", but not "mainboard replacement".
Ok, I understand the problem of replacing the QL motherboard, but perhaps with the help of a second board in the style "docking station"? The functionality of that second board would be to cover the requirements of the QL box connections.

In short, a two-in-one board ("expansion card" and "stand alone" unit) and a second "docking station" type board to transform the new hardware into new QL motherboard that can fit inside QL box. (In the end we would have a three-in-one solution!).

Could that be feasible or does it complicate the whole design unnecessarily?

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Ooh, please add that to the list...a combo extension card that can also be run standalone would be neat.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:In short, a two-in-one board ("expansion card" and "stand alone" unit) and a second "docking station" type board to transform the new hardware into new QL motherboard that can fit inside QL box. (In the end we would have a three-in-one solution!).
A "docking station" approach is already possible with the Q68, once there is a matrix to PS/2 keyboard converter. I heard of three (!) projects for matrix to PS/2 conversion, so I hesitate to also invent that wheel. If one of the projects finishes, practically every hardware guy on the list could design a "docking station" or "assembly kit". Does not require FPGA expertise or major new hardware.

I think it is more efficient if I concentrate my limited time on the more complex issues.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

bwinkel67 wrote:Ooh, please add that to the list...a combo extension card that can also be run standalone would be neat.
Then everyone who wants either "extension card" or "standalone" would check "combo", losing any indication which actual usage is preferred.

Every combo would be a compromise, for now I think it is better to keep possible compromises out of the poll.

bifo
ROM Dongle

Post by bifo »

I've voted for the standalone machine, because that would be the most personally interesting, but also probably far more expensive and space-consuming than I'd necessarily want. The QZero idea is probably the best idea, depending on the cost and capabilities, although something the size of an actual pi zero would be a little too small. An RPI form-factor with a compatible GPIO header would make most sense.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I think everything 'major' has been done.

Every 68K from '000 to '060 has been used. Extended video exists. The Q68 is present and correct - it just needs to come down in price.

So for me the next step is a Q68 II. Simple (I can here Peter laughing from here!) changes like:

A slightly larger FPGA - to enable a separate bus for video memory so large screen sizes do not slow the entire machine
Separate PS/2 keyboard and mouse sockets - current dongle is an ugly hack
Improved extension bus - current one is very limited
Replace supercap with cheaper CR2032 - supercap costs more and doesn't work as well
Revise power regulation - because users are stupid
Have 5V on the extension bus - external 5V supplies crow-bar the 3.3V supply and create ground loops
Larger PCB - reduce connector crowding
Add position for 2nd FPGA on 'QL bus' - allows 3rd party development of on-board extensions/features/expansions in-FPGA

That's random brainstorming. Some of these ideas have more merit than others. Point is, all the low hanging fruit has been picked, and all that's left is refinements.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:A slightly larger FPGA - to enable a separate bus for video memory so large screen sizes do not slow the entire machine
Already routed and tested as part of the Qzero. Whether slightly larger or several 100% larger just a matter of target price.
Dave wrote:Separate PS/2 keyboard and mouse sockets - current dongle is an ugly hack
Hard to decide. I liked the compact Q68 case more than I disliked the Y cable.
Dave wrote:Improved extension bus - current one is very limited
An FPGA with user update for the logic would at least keep this option open. I developed the software for that already.
Dave wrote:Replace supercap with cheaper CR2032 - supercap costs more and doesn't work as well
At the moment I'm more for a larger, cheaper supercap.
Dave wrote:Revise power regulation - because users are stupid
USB connector might be an alternative, but I don't really like becoming incompatible to Q68.
Only two persons ignored the warning about the power supply and one was you ;)
Dave wrote:Have 5V on the extension bus - external 5V supplies crow-bar the 3.3V supply and create ground loops
Qzero has that.
Dave wrote:Larger PCB - reduce connector crowding
Unlikely - as long as space is not needed for other components. I don't like large, mostly empty PCBs.