Transform, live right now.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Ruptor
Trump Card

Re: Transform, live right now.

Postby Ruptor » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:58 pm

You could try warming or cooling the MDVs depending whether they were written to in hot or cold weather. I managed to read floppy discs for a game a friend bought when he was in California. Out of 20 disks about half gave errors but warming them up slightly they all worked and could be copied to new disks. I know tape bits are probably a lot longer relative to floppy data but maybe cooling would enhance the magnetic field since heat degrades them.

Pr0f
Super Gold Card

Postby Pr0f » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:42 pm

If nothing else, it may expand the cartridge ever so slightly allowing it to run more freely ?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Postby tofro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Well, it's not so much the temperature what prohibits old tape material to be read properly.

Instead, the material seems to ingest humidity over time from the air which aparently causes it to detoriate and develop read faults.

It's been "magic wisdom" of system adminiatrators for quite some time (especially DEC tapes, but I'm pretty sure that also applies to Microdrives) that "baking" the tapes in an oven at moderate temperature can restore formerly unreadable tape material to a readable state. This is how just recently the original source code of Magnetic Scrolls adventure games was recovered (See here for a blog entry and recipe on it)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Postby vanpeebles » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:03 pm

Be interesting to see what the cable was, the psion had a comms link adapter with rs232.

dden
ROM Dongle

Postby dden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Thank you for making the Transform titles available.

To help with the list, here's a scan of the last full page advert I could find from QL World, listing their software titles. I'm afraid I don't know if they are all from Transform. Some may be third party.
transform.jpg
Transform Advert

David
Chr$
Super Gold Card

Postby Chr$ » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 pm

dden wrote:Thank you for making the Transform titles available.

To help with the list, here's a scan of the last full page advert I could find from QL World, listing their software titles. I'm afraid I don't know if they are all from Transform. Some may be third party.
transform.jpg

What date was that issue (save me looking)? I'll add prices and anything else relevant to the qlwiki.

Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
dden
ROM Dongle

Postby dden » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:49 am

Chr$ wrote:
dden wrote:Thank you for making the Transform titles available.

transform.jpg

What date was that issue (save me looking)? I'll add prices and anything else relevant to the qlwiki.

May 1987, page 59.
They do have later adverts, but they are small quarter page ones with only a sub-set of their products.

David
Chr$
Super Gold Card

Postby Chr$ » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 am

dden wrote:May 1987, page 59.

Thanks. I recognise many of those as being from other publishers. I believe the only titles by Transform were:

QL Appointment
QL Mail List
QL Organiser
QL Switch
QL to PC
Stock Control

Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.