Screen noise when using microdrives

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Screen noise when using microdrives

Post by grafvonb »

During some tests of my new collection member I recognized some screen noise but only when using microdrives.

You can see it if form of some small black stripes being shown randomly on the screen (it was difficult to take a picture of them because they vanish; on the screenshot you can find an example under the letter "n" in the word "Kalkulation" when loading Abacus).

What is the reason of this problem? It is a naked DE QL, with no modifications (regardless new keyboard membrane) and no extensions.
IMG_20200720_182916.jpg

Loving QL & ZX Spectrum & Amiga...
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Screen noise when using microdrives

Post by Chr$ »

Is that with the QL-VGA? If so, I get those random black marks too, but I must admit I hadn't associated it with the md. It's so random and so rare that I didn't bother Marcel with it.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by grafvonb »

Chr$ wrote:Is that with the QL-VGA? If so, I get those random black marks too, but I must admit I hadn't associated it with the md. It's so random and so rare that I didn't bother Marcel with it.
Good point, I used the QL-VGA indeed. However my other DE QL does not have these symptoms. Strange, but good to know I'm not the only one :smile:

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Never mind all that worrying about a few black marks on screen, I want to know what's behind the monitor!

I see a soldering station (I have a cheap one coming from Amazon today, cheap but a 5* review so it should be fine for my needs), a few storage boxes, an air duster but what other goodies do you have hidden there! Oh yes, and a pine code!) :D

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

grafvonb wrote:
Chr$ wrote:Is that with the QL-VGA? If so, I get those random black marks too, but I must admit I hadn't associated it with the md. It's so random and so rare that I didn't bother Marcel with it.
Good point, I used the QL-VGA indeed. However my other DE QL does not have these symptoms. Strange, but good to know I'm not the only one :smile:
Well, I cannot imagine how QL-VGA could produce these artifacts in the middle of the screen, as I do double buffering, but of course I cannot rule it out either. Would be interesting to know if the same phenomenon happens using a SCART connection or whatever.
I do have occasional stripes likes these with one QL, but these stay and don't disappear again. Some strange interaction of the (S)GC corrupts the internal RAM copy of the screen. But these happen with a a normal monitor, too.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I also see stuff like that, but have never seen it on an unexpanded QL. As Marcel says, it seems to be a loss of alignment between the SGC video shadow and the "real" video memory in the QL.

Can you run the Minerva memory test on this QL? It nearly looks as if the video memory on that machine is flaky.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

mk79 wrote:
grafvonb wrote:
Well, I cannot imagine how QL-VGA could produce these artifacts in the middle of the screen, as I do double buffering, but of course I cannot rule it out either. Would be interesting to know if the same phenomenon happens using a SCART connection or whatever.
I do have occasional stripes likes these with one QL, but these stay and don't disappear again. Some strange interaction of the (S)GC corrupts the internal RAM copy of the screen. But these happen with a a normal monitor, too.
I don't remember seeing it with a GC and a composite vid display, but that was setup to b/w so it probably wouldn't have really been that noticeable. Now I'm running an SGC with the QL-VGA. It really doesn't bother me though, whatever the cause. I'll put it down to (S)GC freakiness then and will let you know if it worsens/changes.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
grafvonb
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by grafvonb »

mk79 wrote:Well, I cannot imagine how QL-VGA could produce these artifacts in the middle of the screen, as I do double buffering, but of course I cannot rule it out either. Would be interesting to know if the same phenomenon happens using a SCART connection or whatever.
I do have occasional stripes likes these with one QL, but these stay and don't disappear again
Using SCART the problem remains however the stripes became almost full lines. So it is not a problem of the QL-VGA...
IMG_20200722_063844_01.jpg

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

grafvonb wrote:Using SCART the problem remains however the stripes became almost full lines. So it is not a problem of the QL-VGA...
That is a relief, thanks for checking :) Still cannot quite imagine what could cause this. But this effect is only for a single frame and then disappears again? As you said it's a German QL I guess it's an issue 6 and on these the ZX8302 that does the MDV stuff is not on the same data bus as the ZX8301, which makes this even stranger...