SuperHermes disk

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

SuperHermes disk

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi all.

Can anyone supply me with a copy of the disk that is supplied with the SuperHermes module?
If you could zip up a copy and post it here, that would be great.

I have a second hand SuperHermes, but the disk that was supplied with it does not appear to be very happy. If I try booting with it I get "At line 40 bad parameter".
I know the Sony MPF920 3.5in drive is good, as I use it on other computer systems without any problems.
Am I doing something wrong, or is the disk bad.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: SuperHermes disk

Post by Dave »

What does line 40 say, and what system/expansions do you have?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Dave wrote:What does line 40 say, and what system/expansions do you have?
I'm new to the QL (only got a QL in December), and therefore new to QDOS etc. I have not worked out which file is causing the error, let alone found line 40 yet, so I don't yet know what line 40 says.

I'm trying to use a SuperHermes on a Aurora board with a SuperGold Card. Display is a VGA monitor. Floppy drives are two Sony MPF920 connected to the upright FDD connector.
The three boards are powered via a 5V 2A SMPSU. The two floppy drives are powered via a separate linear +5V and +12V power supply (as both FDD and PSU for them is also used with a BBC Master).

I also have a Sinclair QL (with the nice replacement keyboard that has red function keys) that has a Gold Card.
The same FDD's and the same SuperHermes disk at first would not read on this system. Now it "boots up" and I get the text shown on screen. I have tried copying it using WCOPY. Most of the copy worked, but I did get an error. Sorry, it was late and I have now forgotten what the error was :(

I do not have the adapter to use a QL keyboard with the Aurora board / SuperHermes, so want to use an "IBM" PC keyboard. I know that the Aurora board / SuperHermes would work with a QL keyboard, as I jerry-rigged a few 1N4148 diodes and some wire to simulate some keys. This works.

Mark

“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

vanpeebles wrote:This any use?

http://tfs.firshman.co.uk/ql/fsh.htm
Thanks, I'll have a look :mrgreen:

Mark

“There are four lights!”

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I can also supply an original SuperHERMES disk if required for a small charge.

Disks deteriorate, and it does sound as though your disk may have some corruption.

If you have a SuperHermes, then the keyboard interface is built into it - if you want to connect an IBM PC (AT) keyboard, then Tony Firshman can supply you with a suitable cable if you don't have one...