microdrive cartridge repair .......

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
techy
Gold Card

microdrive cartridge repair .......

Post by techy »

sorry for waking the dead ………………

BUT , is there a way to repair cartridges , has anyone experience and or pictures , hints/tips

Techy

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: microdrive cartridge repair .......

Post by Chr$ »

When you say repair, do you mean refelting to remove the crumbling old pad to make them usable again (in most cases), or something more serious like corrupt data or a jammed mechanism?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Hi Chris ,

first problem ;

can we repair blocked cartridges , is there any experience ??

second question ;

where to but the "correct " felt stuff

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

techy wrote: can we repair blocked cartridges , is there any experience ??
f
Without a lot of microsurgery (that is, if you're not a trained brain surgeon), probably not.

Once you have to open the cartridge, you're presumably done with it. I very much doubt there is a way to wind the tape in our out manually.

Felt replacement is probably the only thing that's commonly done by people - If that doesn't help, you seem to have to discard the thing.

Toias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

^Agreed, jammed ones can't realistically be saved.

This stuff is what I use to re-felt (you have to cut them down considerably):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124121854703

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

thanks for the link !!

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Chr$ wrote:^Agreed, jammed ones can't realistically be saved.

This stuff is what I use to re-felt (you have to cut them down considerably):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124121854703
I actually saved one but killed two others. It's not easy. The end is glued on and doesn't come out easily. Next time I want to perhaps leave the end alone and just cut along the inside edge of the end piece. Getting the thing to spool in is a real pain. I used tape to hold it in place until I got it back together. Still works but the other two I could not get back. I still have a spool of one of them and may try again. Insane how they were manufactured.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

m_IMG_8425.jpg
pad replacements have arrived

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

@bwinkel67 ,

any pictures ??

i will need to open up one of them , best procedure ( except for chisel and hammer ? )

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

update !!

today i have " refelted " several cartridges and found out that there are at least 2 versions of the brass spring/bracket .

the wide long version does not generate any probs , but the small short ones are a " pita " as the felt tends to bendoverbackwards on those .............

anyway , 20 cartridges done and IF only i could format several of them i would be happy to see a result ( i think i do need a new keyboard membrane ) on 1 ql there simply is no O to type "format" , on the other one typing the O will result in a crashing ql . ( any ideas ?? )

if i receive my keyboard membrane i can format the blank ones and see how they survived 30 years of being in a box .
Attachments
fragile version
fragile version
more solid version
more solid version