Confusion over Aurora Mouse port numbering

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Confusion over Aurora Mouse port numbering

Post by Pr0f »

In the Aurora manual there is a nice lovely section on the mouse port numbering - but it has left me even more confused than ever!

I understand the IDC header numbering goes odd down one side of the connector and even down the other side - so the idc cable would then be 1-2-3-4-5-6 and so on, (only first 8 connected)

BUT - when it gets to the 9 pin D shell - the numbering for Amiga and Atari mouse don't seem to match completely with what I've seen on the various forums for each mouse type.

I see on Marcels site that you can switch between Atari and Amiga by just swapping one and 3 over from the 9 pin perspective (which is effectively swapping 1 and 5 from the Aurora connector?)

Does anyone know if that will also work for the cocolino Mouse adaptor that converts PS/2 mouse to Amiga format?

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: Confusion over Aurora Mouse port numbering

Post by 1024MAK »

Keep in mind that conventional D-connectors existed before the idea was thought up of making IDC versions that could connect to IDC cable. Hence the numbering gets a bit confusing.

Atari, Amiga, Acorn and some early PC mice are ‘bus’ mice. Two TTL digital lines are encoded with square waves for each direction, (so two lines for the X direction, and two lines for the Y direction) plus the button inputs and +5V and 0V/GND.
But the various different manufacturers were not consistent in their pin allocation. With the Atari and Amiga, just two signals need swapping around to change from the Atari pin-out to the Amiga pin-out or vice-a-versa.

The same would apply to any standards converter that goes from PS/2 or USB to an Atari pin-out or to Amiga pin-out if you wanted to use said converter on a different system from the original intended system.

Atari Amiga mouse pin outs

https://old.pinouts.ru/InputCables/atar ... nout.shtml

https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connecto ... iga-9-pin/

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p177113

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

My confusion comes from this -
mouse_table.png

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Looks like it's pins 1 and 4 that need to be swapped for Amiga Mouse - which would be 1 and 7 on the IDC cable H and V movement swapped for Amiga

so straight through IDC is for Atari - not Amiga as documented in the Aurora manual...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I seemed to remember there was problems with the Aurora manual which did not match the I/O connectors, I think there is mistake on the serial port as well.

Did you get the Aurora board working?

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I seemed to remember there was problems with the Aurora manual which did not match the I/O connectors, I think there is mistake on the serial port as well.

Did you get the Aurora board working?
Nearly there - I have a backplane to solder up, and a modified qubide board to put together (extra IDE channels)

I also need to finish up my PIC PS/2 to IPC keyboard interface - plenty on the go ;-)