QL Add-on ROM

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL Add-on ROM

Post by Pr0f »

You could make use of a DS1210 chip to gate control of your /CE based on power supply readiness - this would protect the chip from write corruption when you switch off the main power.

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1210.pdf

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Dave wrote:You could have a physical witch to connect /WR. If you tie it to 5V it can’t be written. A mechanical pull-up.
I would prefer a wizard, they tend to be more reliable and trustworthy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Hi,

All the SRAM backed protection, makes me thinking about mechanical bank switching on 512K eeprom, as I can address only 256K upper or lower halves. Here I rely that a reverse leakage is big enough to pull address line high, and not that big to be pulled low with a switch. I know resistors could be used instead, but I am interested in a use of a suitable diode? Could this work on power on as well as runtime?
mechanical bank switch
mechanical bank switch
Tomas

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

I strongly recommend you do use a resistor to pull up undriven address line inputs. For CMOS chips, a value of between 4.7kΩ and 10kΩ is suitable.

If an address line for a CMOS SRAM is allowed to float, it will pick up interface and static charge from other conductors or conductive bodies/objects. And it could then ‘see’ a logic low or a logic high or keep flipping between high and low. Then the CPU may well access the wrong memory location(s)...

The reverse leakage current of a silicon diode reverse biased at 5V is tiny and may not be enough to be reliable. And in fact, I see no need for a diode as shown on your schematic. Put a resistor in place of the diode ;)

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

+1 on that - diodes are not good as pull ups !