QL-VGA Case

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL-VGA Case

Post by dilwyn »

I've written an article on my blog about making a case for my QL-VGA prototype. Important to realise that this is a prototype board - the finished product may differ a little. But it was quite easy to do and will protect the board and looks tidier than a bare board.

https://dilwyn2.wordpress.com/2020/03/19/ql-vga-case/

RalfR
Aurora

Re: QL-VGA Case

Post by RalfR »

The case is quite good, the fount is quite bad :mrgreen:
dw.JPG
dw.JPG (15.72 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

4E75 7000
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Ralf R. wrote:The case is quite good, the fount is quite bad :mrgreen:

dw.JPG
Ha ha! :lol:

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

dilwyn wrote:
Ralf R. wrote:The case is quite good, the fount is quite bad :mrgreen:
Ha ha! :lol:
The original fount is just great ;) I thought it was so good, that MK has used it, you are the lucky one with a blue PCB.

4E75 7000
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Hi Dilwyn,

well done, the enclosure seems to fit pretty well.

After your review I did something last week that I contemplated for years but so far avoided: buy a 3D printer and learn 3D CAD:
QL_VGA_case_closed.jpg
QL_VGA_case_open.jpg
Only problem is my design needs 30mm M3 screws which are somewhat hard to come by it seems (I think these are the same as in the back of the QL), So there might be a better way to design it, but I'm still new to this ;)

In any case I don't intend to provide a case but can provide the 3D data. Also got an offer for designing a nicer QL-style case for it, we'll see.

Cheers, Marcel

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

This looks quite good!

4E75 7000
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:Hi Dilwyn,
well done, the enclosure seems to fit pretty well.
After your review I did something last week that I contemplated for years but so far avoided: buy a 3D printer and learn 3D CAD:
QL_VGA_case_closed.jpg
QL_VGA_case_open.jpg
Only problem is my design needs 30mm M3 screws which are somewhat hard to come by it seems (I think these are the same as in the back of the QL), So there might be a better way to design it, but I'm still new to this ;)
In any case I don't intend to provide a case but can provide the 3D data. Also got an offer for designing a nicer QL-style case for it, we'll see.
Cheers, Marcel
Nice work Marcel, that looks really good. And you dared to leave that narrow spike in place between the QL and SVGA video connectors on the end. Also, the pillars for the screws go down to the board so that the board could be secured in place. And of course the logo on the top. Great work.

My box of course was an off the shelf ABS box which more by luck than judgement happened to be the correct size to hold the board, I felt so lucky it happened to work as well as it did - and mine is black! :geek:

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

That looks brilliant!

When will this board be available?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Why produce the circuit board uncase and let someone else produce a case.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Why produce the circuit board uncase and let someone else produce a case.
I think Marcel has already said somewhere (here?) that he intends to supply the uncased boards only, not cases, and perhaps make the 3D printing available to others to make cases.

Marcel will no doubt reply in time as to when he hopes to release it, please bear in mind that the present conditions may make it harder for him to source parts etc. On the one hand, I hope my reviews of the prototype will help people decide whether or not to buy it from him, but also I don't want to put too much undue pressure on Marcel too soon. Keep an eye on his blog at http://www.kilgus.net for any news I guess.