SerMouse: compatible mice list

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Re: SerMouse: compatible mice list

Post by stephen_usher »

Cristian wrote:
janbredenbeek wrote:One of the few good things Microsoft has ever made :D
If it had been Sinclair-black instead of PC-white, it would have reached the perfection :-D
There were black versions.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Great! (anyway, it was just a little joke)

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

stephen_usher wrote:There were black versions.
Are there any pink ones for the ladies? :shock:
Here are pictures of my first mouse I think from my 286 that I also used on my 50 MHz 486. Note the 25 way serial connection which is probably why I put 25 ways on the two telephone serial leads from the QL that I never used because the QL died. I put the black push button on the side that I think is a reset to clear lock ups. It also helps with grip to move it around because the shape is crap or should I say not very ergonomic. :roll:
Attachments
MouseT.jpg
MouseB.jpg

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

This, my Qtronix LYNX-30S Mouse, works with SERmouse (it has a Q in the name, so it ought to I suppose)!
20210318_172317.jpg
20210318_172252.jpg
There appears to be a seller in the USA on eBay offering them with more than 10 so possibly NOS and possibly of use to someone, even though there are no pics and he/she is asking $45 each:

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

If your mouse is that yellowed, please gently unscrew it and drop the pieces in boiling water for about 20-30 seconds, then retrobright it or put it in the sun.

The brown is the flame retardant in the plastic leaching to the surface. This creates internal stresses in the plastic, making it very brittle. The comparison is very close to vehicle safety glass. Placing the part in boiling water allows the bromines to freely travel within the plastic and normalise their pressures, making the plastic much less brittle.

Even though the discoloration might remain, at least you won't have buttons randomly breaking off.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Dave wrote:If your mouse is that yellowed, please gently unscrew it and drop the pieces in boiling water for about 20-30 seconds, then retrobright it or put it in the sun.

The brown is the flame retardant in the plastic leaching to the surface. This creates internal stresses in the plastic, making it very brittle. The comparison is very close to vehicle safety glass. Placing the part in boiling water allows the bromines to freely travel within the plastic and normalise their pressures, making the plastic much less brittle.

Even though the discoloration might remain, at least you won't have buttons randomly breaking off.
Yes, I will retro-bright this when I do another round (with an Atari tank mouse and any other small items I may find).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Does anyone has an Idea, how to make a PC mouse doing a cursor emulation with QPC2, as is possible with a Sermouse on QL? Would be good for a few graphic programs.

4E75 7000
nikosdoykas
Over Heated PSU

Post by nikosdoykas »

so i try to make a ser mouse to my ql.... before i start to make enything i tested my 2 mouses and i find tis things
(i have 9db port on my ql wired like ser ports )
so and the 2 mouse lack of CTS... i think neither gona work
139042418_3622904491161772_7896569373683021256_n.jpg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I am making some QL SER2 to DB9 serial cables, is the correct wiring for SER2 connections to a Serial Mouse:

Code: Select all

SER2
QL             DB9
1. GND---------5. GND
2. TxD---------3. TxD
3. RxD---------2. RxD
4. DTR(RTS)----7. RTS
5. CTS---------8. CTS
6. 12v---------4. DTR
Maybe for SER1 to DB9 SERmouse:

Code: Select all

SER1
QL             DB9
1. GND---------5. GND
2. TxD---------2. RxD
3. RxD---------3. TxD
4. DTR(RTS)----8. CTS
5. CTS---------7. RTS
6. 12v---------4. DTR
The DTR on the mouse is held high by the 12v on the QL?

To make a universal SER1/2 to DB9 cable a little switch to toggle pins: 2/3 and 4/5

Regards,

Derek