Extra ports...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Brad
ROM Dongle

Re: Extra ports...

Post by Brad »

Thanks chaps,

Was a bit of a gamble and I didn't realise the significance of it not having a power supply but I'll take my time with its restoration. The QL keyboard is the stuff of nightmares; it actually feels even worse than I was expecting. Still, not looking to bang out a novel on it so whatever.

Order of work:
Source power supply
Get Keyboard membrane once it powers on and I have a display working
Check microdrives. Not sure I care enough to fix them if they don't work. More of a nice to have.
Get some kind of floppy disk system.
Start exploring the system.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

So the power supply gives two different voltages (picture attached). You can get either internal SD card(s) reader to replace the microdrives or an external one that doesn't require any mods (vDrive). I have the latter an it works pretty well. The internal SD reader is likely faster but I think takes up some free memory and maybe uses the external ROM slot (though doesn't plug into it so internally) ... not totally sure since I don't have one.
unnamed.png

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Brad wrote:Thanks chaps,

Was a bit of a gamble and I didn't realise the significance of it not having a power supply but I'll take my time with its restoration. The QL keyboard is the stuff of nightmares; it actually feels even worse than I was expecting. Still, not looking to bang out a novel on it so whatever.

Order of work:
Source power supply
Get Keyboard membrane once it powers on and I have a display working
Check microdrives. Not sure I care enough to fix them if they don't work. More of a nice to have.
Get some kind of floppy disk system.
Start exploring the system.
A little bit of work and you could have yourself a real street sweeper!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Brad,
Brad wrote:The QL keyboard is the stuff of nightmares; it actually feels even worse than I was expecting. Still, not looking to bang out a novel on it so whatever.
I suppose it's what you are used to. Back in the day, the best keyboard was the "rubber fish" on the Spectrum! Then the QL came out with a real keyboard, and it did work very well - in my opinion. The membrane thing is a pain though, I've found that they snap at the slightest look.

Many many years later I had an accident with a desktop keyboard and a cup of sweet coffee! So I did what you do, I took the keyboard apart (I think it was a Dell) and lo, inside was a little rubber/plastic bubble mat and a membrane! Sinclair was ahead of his time!

Perhaps the rubber "springs" in your keyboard are a bit stiff through lack of use. There's a thread on a similar matter at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2337 which might help.

Good luck with the restoration.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

Cheers for the help and words of support. I'll update next when I have power and video output.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

NormanDunbar wrote: Many many years later I had an accident with a desktop keyboard and a cup of sweet coffee! So I did what you do, I took the keyboard apart (I think it was a Dell) and lo, inside was a little rubber/plastic bubble mat and a membrane! Sinclair was ahead of his time!
I think most PC keyboards use membranes today.
I still have some 30-year old PC keyboards with 'real' switches which produce an audible click when pressed. These are real solid ones. Also they don't suffer from loads of 'Windows' keys between the Ctrl and Alt keys :D

Jan

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

PSU, Replacement keyboard foil and QL->Scart all on the way now.

I'll hook it up either to a Commodore 1081 or via an OSSC.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

You all set now :D

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Brad wrote:PSU
Hi Brad,
please check your inbox: you will find updates and information