MDV re-felting

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

MDV re-felting

Post by bwinkel67 »

Been trying to do this for some and have a few questions.

I broke a few springs (sometimes you have to take them off to get the old stuff off). Thinking of getting 0.10 mm copper sheet (about $2) to cut new ones. Anyone know if that's the right thickness? There seem to be two types, the really flimsy ones with thin legs and the more firm ones that almost seem like a single strip of copper bent at the ends and curled up. The thicker ones are about as thick as a US dollar bill which is .0043 inches or .109 mm.

What is the best felt to get? I've been using a soft, but firm, foam (white) and cutting it not too thick and then putting scotch tape (the matte kind that is slippery) on the top side. Any techniques I should be aware of?

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: MDV re-felting

Post by Dave »

I did a lot of research into this many years ago.

The only hard and fast rules are that the surface needs to be non-abrasive, and it can't be a plastic or static-generating material. Scotch tape, when rubbed by a fast moving plastic strip, creates a static charge which induces crackles into the recording.

Adhesive backed natural felt is the best alternative to the original 3M felt, which I bought out the remaining supplies of. Look for "8 track replacement felt" and trim that down to size with a nice, sharp blade.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Dave wrote:I did a lot of research into this many years ago.

The only hard and fast rules are that the surface needs to be non-abrasive, and it can't be a plastic or static-generating material. Scotch tape, when rubbed by a fast moving plastic strip, creates a static charge which induces crackles into the recording.

Adhesive backed natural felt is the best alternative to the original 3M felt, which I bought out the remaining supplies of. Look for "8 track replacement felt" and trim that down to size with a nice, sharp blade.
Oh, that's really helpful, thanks. I put scotch tape on (the semi-translucent type) because the original MDV felts had a plastic topper on the spongy part. The topper lasted for ever (still have them) bu the spongy part became dry and brittle and flaked away. I've also tried cassette tape felts but I will look into getting 8-track ones since they are bigger.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Dave wrote:Adhesive backed natural felt is the best alternative to the original 3M felt, which I bought out the remaining supplies of. Look for "8 track replacement felt" and trim that down to size with a nice, sharp blade.
Would this be what you were talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Fe ... 3943359893

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

bwinkel67 wrote:
Dave wrote:I did a lot of research into this many years ago.

Oh, that's really helpful, thanks. I put scotch tape on (the semi-translucent type) because the original MDV felts had a plastic topper on the spongy part. The topper lasted for ever (still have them) bu the spongy part became dry and brittle and flaked away. I've also tried cassette tape felts but I will look into getting 8-track ones since they are bigger.
With felt make sure that they're no more than 1mm thick as otherwise it puts too much pressure on the tape. (Felt is less compressible than the original sponge.)

High density cassette felt should be fine. Cut it into 4mmx1.5mmx1mm blocks.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

bwinkel67 wrote:Would this be what you were talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Fe ... 3943359893
That would work. Cut it to fit the full size of the metal pad - not the tension arms part. The main thing about it is it is anti-static treated.