Transfer data between Windows and QL using CF Card with QL Tetroid disk interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
polka
Trump Card

Re: Transfer data between Windows and QL using CF Card with QL Tetroid disk interface

Post by polka »

Chr$ wrote:
polka wrote: But then you have to copy the image back on the CF ? You can do this directly on the CF chip, instead of opening an image : use Disc > Open disc instead of File > Open image . I make Habi images only for rare ( I hope ! ) backups.
Does that also take many hours to open, or is it quicker than full imaging?
To open a CF takes not much longer than to open an image (a few seconds). To insert files into a CF is not very long either. What takes time is to copy an image to a CF (write) or to backup a CF to an image (read) : approx 45 minutes for 1Gb with my hardware. Because it copies a huge amount of data compared to simply insert (or extract) a file.
Chr$ wrote:I wonder what is wrong with how I do things then if the imaging settings are irrelevant.
In any case via the Habi software, you can only share data files between a QL with a CF and an emulator (zip files are a kind of data files). When putting data files from CF to PC emulator, just make sure that it is without a header. And from PC emulator to CF, make sure that a "fake" header is added - see how to do, pondering my man-habi doc a few posts up. This counts only when extracting or inserting files not when reading CF or writing img.

But you can always share ANY type o files between CF and emulator through QL formatted floppies (or mdvs).

POLKa

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
polka
Trump Card

Re: Transfer data between Windows and QL using CF Card with QL Tetroid disk interface

Post by polka »

DISASTER !
When I prepared the PDF document summing up my experiences with the HABI image files manager, I wanted to re-check the error messages that I got when trying to restore an image file onto a different CF chip. As I have 2 512Mb chips (one with 993 tracks and one with 1010 tracks), one 1Gb chip ( with 1999 tracks), and 2 8Gb chips (one with 14791 tracks and one with 15636 tracks) I decided to try to restore the 15636 8Gb CF chip with my most recent backup of the 1999 1Gb CF chip, being sure that it would give me an error message.
To my surprise, It did not complain and worked ! and attaching the 8Gb chip to the tetroid card, every thing seemed OK.
BUT : when I tried to re-create the partitions on the 7Gb above the restored 1Gb, it refused !
So, I had to re-INIT the 8Gb CF and do again the whole partitionning and re-filling them with my floppies (2 40Mb partition) and the DWJ zip archives (3 40Mb partitions).

I thus attach a updated version of my HABI PDF document with new warnings !
Habi.pdf
(154.77 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
By the way, I noted also other issues :
When inserting files into an empty 40Mb partition you may stuff it only with 31 files (even when they are small and would not overfill the space). But on my 8Gb chip I had also 7 960Mb partitions, into which the HABI software allowed to insert up to 511 files. Curious ? So I used these big partitions as buffers, and had afterward no problem to copy the files to smaller partiitions with QL wcopy commands.

May the FORTH be with you 8-)
POLKa
Last edited by polka on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

POLKa
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Where did you get a CF Card that can hold a 40Gb partition?

Regards,

Derek
polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

OOOPS ! Thanks pointing it ; corrected !
Yes, my definitive partitionning of the 8Gb CF is :
24 40Mb partitions with 2Kb blocks (thus 82Kb FATs) and
7 960Mb partitions with 32Kb blocks (thus 128Kb FATs) and
1 little partition of 5Mb to use the eleven remaining tracks.
Paul

POLKa
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Excellent work Polka, this is the trouble I've ran into last few days.