Just confirming SER1 to PC COM adapter

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: Just confirming SER1 to PC COM adapter

Post by janbredenbeek »

Chr$ wrote:
janbredenbeek wrote: Just to be sure... are you trying to connect your PC running QXL to the QL Printer or to your BBQL?
Yes, that's what I'm trying to do. My QL printer has a connector that fits the German SER1 and works perfectly on the German BBQL.
So you're sending data from PC to SER2 on the BBQL, right? Are you using some command like COPY ser2,ser1 or SPL ser2 TO ser1 (which works in the background)?

Jan

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

So you're sending data from PC to SER2 on the BBQL, right?
No, this is how to connect Sinclair QL Printer (with Samsung DE-9 connector) to PC with QXL.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Yes, it's how to connect the original QL printer to a PC com port which is running a QXL card. There should be no BBQL involved. The BBQL connection voltages I listed were mainly just for reference, as I know the printer works on that, so the connections there are correct (and in case of confusion with the different pin-outs that seem to exist for the German SER1 type connection).

Sorry for any confusion Jan (the title is indeed confusing). I'd have probably given up with me by now!

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Chr$ wrote:Yes, it's how to connect the original QL printer to a PC com port which is running a QXL card. There should be no BBQL involved. The BBQL connection voltages I listed were mainly just for reference, as I know the printer works on that, so the connections there are correct (and in case of confusion with the different pin-outs that seem to exist for the German SER1 type connection).

Sorry for any confusion Jan (the title is indeed confusing). I'd have probably given up with me by now!
No hard feelings ;) .
I think the CTS line from the printer is somehow blocking traffic as it should be at +12V when the printer is ready. But as the wiring seems correct I currently haven't got a clue...

Jan

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

When I opened the port and measured the CTS (PC pin 8) the printer wasn't attached. I just measured the naked PC port.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.